SWR MO'Bass Me nuts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WarwickFRK, Oct 17, 2001.

1. WarwickFRK

WarwickFRK Guest

Oct 14, 2001
    I don't know what it is about me but I owned the SWR 350 for probably 6 days total. Here's my story....

I went and practiced with the session band I am in and I was blown out of the water last night. The 350 could not compete at all. One guitarist has a mesa/boogie triple rec. and the other has a mesa 2:90. I learned all their songs (took me about 3 weeks) and finally got together "as a band" and we jammed for 6 hours. The 350 was not loud enough for this style of music (nu-metal). I was heard sort of but it was so muddy it made me damn sic! Only when I went off to never never land playing on the high notes was I heard very clear (and I raised all of their eyebrows!).

I received their itenerary of gigs. First one comin this saturday at a club I know well, its huge. Holds 1000 people at least. Following that another gig on Halloween in a club that holds 2000. Following that another gig that is an outdoor afternoon mosh fest. Then after that its med sized bars/clubs.

Soooooooo, I went out today with the intention to return the 350 for something better. I brought along my Stingray for trade also. Got to the shop, and thought about just getting the 750 but damn, I have played the Mo'Bass twice already and know its pretty damn loud and innovative (like my playin, the effects will come in handy with my main jazz fusion band) and said, "Screw it, You only live once". Traded in my Stingray for this head.

All I got to say is I have a lot of studying to do. But so far this amp is by far the most "interesting" awesome, incredible amp I've heard. Don't even get me going on the effects this thing has. I think I made a wise choice. Its everything I want and its got plenty of power. Why wait and have to trade the 350 in at half the price I paid for it to get a louder head?

If anyone out there owns a Mo'Bass, please post some comments and suggestions on settings. Thanks for readin :D
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You went for the Mo instead of the 750, huh? Well, good luck. I would geniunely like to hear something other than the standard knock on the Mo. I hope the extra fifty watts and the effects are worth it, amigo. Keep us posted.
  3. Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    I wouldve gotten a mesa boogie 400+.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i woulda saved $400 bucks at least and gotten an SWR interstellar overdrive and a carvin DCM1000 poweramp.

oh wait...

i did. :D

the mo bass never impressed me, i dig the tone of the bass 750 much more.

and i too used to attempt to be heard over a LOUD band with a bass350...didn't happen.

5. do you have any idea how to EQ your amp appropriately for band situations? that could be your problem right there.
  6. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    He WarwickFRK,

I own a SWR Mo' Bass and it indeed is a super amp. (All my band members lovingly call it a Microwave but that is beside the point.)

Make sure you read the entire owners manual, it contains some good tips and starting points for creating you own sounds.

The limiter is superb. I always have it a little bit on.

The Bass Synth is the coolest effect on the Mo' Bass. I always use the resonance knob to balance my clean sound and the synth sound when I switch between the two. I never use the distortion (only for the envelope without synth trick {what?? RTFM} ) The octaver is great, but you have to watch what you play when playing low notes. I havent done a lot with the Mo'eq yet. Sometimes I use it for a little low bass boost. Shake the room... Chorus is best IMO with great depth and little rate.

Ofcourse there are also some things I don't like about it:
    1. No mute button. (Solved by getting a Korg rack tuner)
    2. No rear input. That is so stupid.
    3. Even with the Mo' Control you can't store fx parameters which means I'm constantly fiddling with all the knobs on a gig.

I you have any more questions about the Mo feel free to ask them.

PS. About the Mo' Control: I think it is to expensive. SWR sais its because of the build quality but so far I've had two units with a blown processor. SWR is now looking in to it, and has been for the past two weeks... to be continued.
  7. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Hey !!!!

I own both the Mo-Bass and the 750 .

I like them both....but find that the Mo in bridged mono mode is more powerful than the 750 (as it should be according to the SWR stats...)

In live band gig situations I basically use the chorus effect most...and an occasional Bass synth if I'm feeling 'testy' .

Here are some of my settings:
    .....remember....YMMV as many of the controls are shaped by how hard/soft your right hand tech is...

Chorus: Depth - 7.5
    Rate - 2

Mo-EQ: T- +2 , M- -1 , B- 0

Bass Synth: Filter: ~3
    Resonance: 7
    Envelope: ~3
    Mix: 1 towrds bass side

Subwave: Tone: 2
    Mix: 1 towards bass side

I havent really found practical use for the overdrive yet in band situations.....yet.

Limiter: I keep ~ 2/3
    Aural Enhancer: 7.5

These are my main settings today......
    Play around.....find some that make you hot and testy!!!

Stay Low
  8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Any chance you were scooping the mids too much so that only mud and clack came out? Rather than scooping mids on my SM-400S, I actually push a bit of 200 hz and 600hz to hear myself better.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

How many amps or even preamps do you know of that have rear panel inputs?

I don't think I've ever seen one.
  10. WarwickFRK

WarwickFRK Guest

Oct 14, 2001
    With the 350 I did eq the head a lot. As good as it sounded alone it couldn't cut through these two cats' guitar tone. Total brutal extreamly loud bass crunching distortion...

The Mo'Bass head IMO is incredible. The tone I get is just what I want. The volume is just what I want. I practiced today with them and bingo, I'm heard now. Granted it took me a few hours to toggle the eq's to get just the right tone for their sound but I found it. Granted its only 50 more watts but who cares, its loud and it cuts like a knife, don't know how don't care, as long as it does its job I'm happy. The Mo'contorl is awesome but i'm not sure why it would blow twice???? tell me how that happened.

I played the Mo with only the Goliath III cab and the drummer was like, "WHOA DOOD, turn that down now!" So I put it back into stereo with the two cabs.

As for the effects, chorus is awesome. The others I do not know about yet. Those effects will be used in my main jazz fusion band. But I'm not playing with them till January.

Now all i have to do is make sure the two guitarist don't kick over my rig. they swing their guitars as if they are swords, crazy mofos. Thanks for the tips.
  11. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Re: Rear panel input.
    You're right, not many amps have a rear panel input (our guitar players Digitech 2101 pre-amp/effects does). I think that's strange because my wireless receiver has a rear panel output and my Korg tuner has both front and rear panel inputs. I had to drill a hole in the SKB case to run a cable from the Korg (rear) output to the Mo' input. So, IMHO it's stupid that manufactures don't put rear inputs on their rackable (is that a word?) amps.

Re: Blown Mo' Control.
    They don't know why it blows... Parts are on the way... I hope it doesn't break down again. I'll keep you posted.

Re: Bridge mode.
    I haven't run the Mo' Bass in bridge mode yet because the total impedance of my speakers is 2.67 ohms. Is it really much better then stereo mode?
  12. WarwickFRK

WarwickFRK Guest

Oct 14, 2001
    Hmmm, it seems people on other forums do not like the SWR Mo'Bass. Why is this?????? I've heard everything from "Its over priced and way too much money", "who needs those silly effects", "Too many knobs", to "The 750 is better"

I don't care what anyone says, I've used it once again today at the practice and its amazing. Blows the 350 out of the water and my old SWR Silverado Special and my old Ampeg SVT Pro and my first bass head, the Peavey crapper. I dread Peavey I'm sorry. I am thinking about just using the Goliath III for the gig tommorow night. Running it in bridge/mono I should be able to get 630w I think. But then again, the sound guy will run me direct I think so it might not even be an issue. Maybe the outdoor show comin up I should just use the Goliath III.

So I don't know what it is, maybe its just way over priced for its own good. Tell me why its not the "highlight" of SWR even though SWR wants it to be. The 750 yes its good but I just think the tone out of the Mo'Bass is noticable and the effects (for me) is just what I need........
  13. WarwickFRK

WarwickFRK Guest

Oct 14, 2001
    I talked to the sales guys and they told me they have had only one incident with the MO'Control being returned to SWR for service. They have sold 38 units so far with only one comin back, this is over a 1 1/2 yr period. The description for the repair was that the customer shorted out the controller. Something with the plug (the computer lookin one) was not seated properly and it surged the foot controller. The description was more detailed but I wasn't able to read it in full. All I know is it had to do with the computer plug sending the wrong amount of power to the MO'Controller and shorting out something in the MO'Controller. I think it said the customer may have tried plugging in the controller while the MO'Bass unit was powered on and then they pulled it out and put it back in.

I don't know if I am making any sense at all but that's all I could remember from the job sheet. :eek:

ps- I got the Mo'Controller with the Mo'Bass head. It was $1300 for everything. Then I traded in my Stingray and paid the balance with the C.C. :(