Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Mo'bass synth settings/sounds?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pigpen02, Oct 1, 2005.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I just purchased a mo'bass head, and am digging it, but....

I've never owned a bass synth pedal before, much less a head w/ the effect built in, and don't know how to, or if i can, dial in some of the more classic bass synth sounds. I've read the manual, and tried out a few of the suggested settings already.

Can i? For example, i love the bass synth on Jamiroquai's "Feels Good," and would like to be able to dial that up. And some "Fantastic Voyage," as well.

Any mo'bass owners/users want to share some settings with me?

2. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I'm listening to it now and it sounds to me that is the exact sound of the Mo' Bass synth. It is a mix of normal bass and synth so set the Mix control to center position (or a little to the synth side) and experiment with the others. The sound of the Mo' Bass synth very much depends on the bass and input gain. If the gain is to high it 'breaks up', which is a cool sound on its own.

Hope this helps a bit. Any other Mo' Bass owners here? :ninja:

3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I guess not :spit:. I love it :bassist:

:bag:

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Does the Mini Mo' count, or is the fact that I had to supply my own amp count against me?

...although on the plus side, I've got even more knobs then you guys! :spit: ;)

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Great, give me some ideas on using they synth, some favorite settings etc.

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It's a bit harder to translate my settings as I run "Dual Mode" exclusively and therefore have all my effects set running through an "dirty" (Avatar 2x10) cab in addition to a full-time "clean" (Avatar 2x12) cab. However, some of my "basic" settings are:

EQ
    Limiter: +1, Treble +1, Mids +2 w/ Mid frequencies boosted @ 300 Hz, Aural Enhancer +2, Bass +0. I've found that "my sound" is one that's not at all overly boosted by EQ, and that the combination of my main basses (Yamaha RBX 775 fretted and fretless), the inherent sound of the Mini Mo' and the classic SWR sound (which I adore in general) and the very neutral sound of the Avatar Neo cabs let me not need to boost or cut much at all, besides a slight bump in the lower mids and a touch of high-end for the "chime" I love so unless something is really wonky in the room acoustically.

Overdrive/Distortion
    Drive: +2-3, Tone: +7, Level: +3 - a nice bit of "Geddy-esque" grit on top of my clean cab... or a decent amount more, depending on how physically hard I'm playing. I love this circuit for just that - its dynamics.

SubWave
    Tone +1, Mix +2 on the "bass" side to eliminate some of the synth aspects of the effect, although I like the "Synth SubWave" sound as an effect from time-to-time.

Bassynth
    Filter +2, Resonance +8, Envelope +5, Level +8. Again, my "main" sound for this effect but not my only one by far. I've found out of all the effects, this takes the most experimentation based on the individual's instrument, requirements, and playing style. For instance, I use this and SubWave together a great deal of the time.

Mo'EQ
    Treble +2, Mid +3, Bass +2. Mainly used as a "boost" channel overall for lead/counterpoint/harmony lines, important riffs, and solos, and to add "a little extra something" when the Overdrive/Distortion and Bassynth need to be at the forefront.

Chorus
    Depth +6, Level +7, Rate +3. I freely admit I now and forever in the past have overused chorusing, but at least I've cut my "rate" significantly. ;) Used all over the place: with Overdrive/Distortion, clean SubWave for octave and "lead" lines, and fretless playing.

Mo' Control 2 Presets
    1. Overdrive/Distortion, Bassynth, Mo'EQ, and Chorus. Think "Tom Sawyer", especially still having a full-range clean signal via Dual Mode.

2. Overdrive/Distortion and Chorus. Basic "lead" sound.

3. SubWave, Mo'EQ, and Chorus. Pull out the fretless and it's "Sledgehammer" time.

4. Bassynth and Mo'EQ. Boosted synth patch.

Again, using Dual Mode exclusively changes the way some of the effects work with each other, so what might sound good for me might not for you. Plus, there's individual taste and all that. :smug: Here's a few starting points, and I'd love to try out some setting you guys have made up yourselves!

7. Aeolian-Terror

Aeolian-Terror

Sep 20, 2005
    I am a Mo'Bass Owner and thinking of Switching to a Sm-900 to run my megoliath or Go two Accugroove tri210's and a thunderfunk... Or keep my Mo .... right now am in a rut.. aslo anyone else on the mo bass get a pop on the gain knob when they turn volume up.... and a wierd scratching sound on the volume knob ... someone help it annoys the hell out of me.

thanks =) and :bassist: on!

8. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I'm guessing the pop and scratch is from dust in the pots. Try blowing it out with compressed air.

Could you try the Mo' Bass with the Accugroove cab's?

9. Aeolian-Terror

Aeolian-Terror

Sep 20, 2005
    I Really hadnt thought about that .... wonder if it would sound good on two accugroove cabs also dust? so i take knobs off and just put compressed air through em?

thanks for the help man...=D :hyper:

10. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Euh, taking the knobs off will lead not get you inside the pots... I just checked... (knobs are glued so they are not meant to come off...but the glue kinda doesn't stick :eyebrow: ) Anyways, maybe you can send SWR an email on how to fix it. They reponded to my questions pretty quickly in the past (pre Fender days...). Hope you get it fixed and please test the Accugroove cabs with the Mo' Bass :bassist: