Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR not cheap but built that way ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftybassdog, Feb 28, 2003.

1. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have been using SWR for a long time over ten years, I have at this time a bass 750, interstellar overdrive pre-amp, a goliath III and a big bertha, as you know its not cheap gear ! about a month ago my pre-amp on/off switch would not work,so I did the gig without it and used only the 750, I e-mailed SWR and told them what it did and if I could get a new switch for the unit, (its still under warranty) well I got a e-mail back that said you have to let the amp warm up before you use it ! What !!!!! so I asked what I should do ,send it to a service center for a switch ? I just got pissed, so I had to buy a new switch that took 2 weeks to come in, its a small switch and no one had it in stock, SWR could have sent it but did not , I have never had a problem with SWR in the past its a great amp but I think I will buy eden from now on. has anyone had a problem like this ? let me know:spit:

2. I've never had anything but great service from SWR.

Maybe you should of used the warranty and shipped it to SWR for warranty service.

Anyone but an authorized SWR repair would void your warranty.

I've deal with SWR many times over many years.
    Never had a problem.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I haven't had much dealing with them thus far... just a few emails with a query or two regarding a bass head I had purchased.

-Why is the efx loop wired through the 'master' volume instead of the pre-amp?
    The results, unlike my previous Ampeg, is that any volume adjustments on the head changes the input / output signal of anything looped through the efx...

-Is the cooling fan supposed to be that loud, or is it in need of a repair or replacement?
    Whenever I'm practicing in the house and the fan comes on, it can be heard some two rooms away...

At any rate, the replies weren't expidited in any record time, but did arrive with an explanation other than some ambiguous answer that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I'm sorry to read of your situation in dealing with the folks there, and can only hope my own SWR head continues working fine - atleast as long yours had been...

michael s.

4. i have emailed and called kelly @ swr more times than i can count, they have top notch service, no question is too stupid, believe me, i know!

the down side,
    -my goliath III had a blown driver out of the box (not a floor model, a brand spankin new cab).
    and i've heard many other complaints about their quality control, they seem to be making the same old high quality gear that they always have, just seems like they dont double check the product as much as they used to.

5. I also had a brand new driver that was blown right out of the box. SWR corrected the problem quickly and at no charge (of course).

I do tend to stick to SWR Engineering Products rather then SWR Sound.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Steve Rabe where art thou? :D

7. swr says rabe's still involved with them. and they swear there is no difference in quality between swr engineering and swr sound.

one thing they said kinda pissed me off, i asked why their gorgeous chrome cabs now have these cheesy, tacky and much too large badges on them...here's the email;

When exactly did SWR Engineering become SWR Sound?

December 1st 1997.

From my understanding, the cabs with the smaller badge on (chrome) grill; ie; "goliath III" are from the Steve Rabe days, and the big, ugly, super-lame looking PLASTIC badges are from the new ownership.

"This is incorrect. We did not begin offering the chrome look until 1999 - one year and one month after the changeover. The "big, ugly, super-lame looking PLASTIC badges" were added so that you could actually make out our logo at a live concert or during a television performance - which is important for marketing purposes when you actually want to sell the products that you manufacture. I know it is popular whenever an established brand changes ownership for people to say that products manufactured under the original ownership were superior. When SWR changed hands, we still had the same staff, and Steve Rabe was still in the office every day, as he still is. All that happened was that we got a new CEO overseeing the daily operations, and the funny thing is, he had been here all along as an original investor. SWR is still the same company it always was, we are just more organized now.

How is Steve Rabe's last name pronounced?
    Rabe is pronounced "Robby".

Best regards,
    Kelly/SWR"

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I don't know....I still have my SWRSM400 & Goliath from 15 years ago....they where made great! But last year I did a gig with a new SWR backline, and was very disapointed....seemed to be lacking in quality:( SWR stuff is not cheap, and for the money......I think there are better deals to be had...
    ...just my two pennies.