Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR or AMPEG

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickelBridge, Mar 27, 2001.

1. I'm in the market for a new amp, something around the 350 watt range to replace my Hartke 3500. I'm looking for something better, that will give me a more proffessional tone. I don't have too much of a budget, so that's a big concern. A local music store has a used SWR 350 (red-faced version) that I have played and like. I think I can talk them down to around $400. There is also a new Ampeg B2R that is a floor model going for $399. They are both rated 350W @ 4 ohms. Does anyone have an opinion on which is the better amp? Are any of these worth the $$? Would it be worth waiting until I could buy something better like the SVT-3 Pro? Thanks for any help.

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have an SWR SM400S head (500w@ 4 ohms) and an Ampeg B2 combo with four 8" drivers,it has the same head you're talking about in the combo.Sound wise they are different,but I like 'em both.The SWR has a "faster" sound with a lot of presence,and the Ampeg is round and full. Bottom line: they're both good and it comes down to personal preference IMHO.