SWR or AMPEG

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickelBridge, Mar 27, 2001.

1. I'm in the market for a new amp, something around the 350 watt range to replace my Hartke 3500. I'm looking for something better, that will give me a more proffessional tone. I don't have too much of a budget, so that's a big concern. A local music store has a used SWR 350 (red-faced version) that I have played and like. I think I can talk them down to around $400. There is also a new Ampeg B2R that is a floor model going for $399. They are both rated 350W @ 4 ohms. Does anyone have an opinion on which is the better amp? Are any of these worth the $$? Would it be worth waiting until I could buy something better like the SVT-3 Pro? Thanks for any help.

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have an SWR SM400S head (500w@ 4 ohms) and an Ampeg B2 combo with four 8" drivers,it has the same head you're talking about in the combo.Sound wise they are different,but I like 'em both.The SWR has a "faster" sound with a lot of presence,and the Ampeg is round and full. Bottom line: they're both good and it comes down to personal preference IMHO.