swr or ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Apr 19, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    which do you guys think is better: SWR Goliath III cab or the Ampeg Pro 4x10 cab. I like them both a lot and I was wanting some feedback on that.

Please don't tell me I should get/look at someother cab instead. That is not my question. :D

2. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think you should look at the Brad special.

j/k SWR all the way for you. I know these things and you are an SWR kinda guy.
  3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    The SWR is lighter and more 'hi-fi'...

I thought the Ampeg was a bit muddy and very heavy!
  4. brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    Man, I've played both of them and I love them both. I like swr's heads alot more and the whole rig would be a lot lighter....but as for the sound....I liked them both. Therefor, I thought I'd get your opinions
  5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    a good happy medium is the peavey 4x10. pretty cheap. not too high fi not too muddy ust right. BUT THEY ARE FREKKIN HEAVY! like 100 lbs
  6. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    my vote goes for the SWR. I love the ampeg amplifier tone, but for cabinets, i think ported cabs are better, and therefore SWR!

I just saw that you said the PRO, which has 2 of its speakers ported, i'd still go w/ SWR because of cost and portability..
  7. I own a SVT410HLF,
    It's not as big as the 8x10, about the half of it,
    and it has hlf speakers for the low end, they rule!!
    It sounds way better then the 8x10.
    Normally these cabs are rated at 400W RMS but mine is 500W RMS, I called Ampeg about this and they said they changed the rating of the speakers.

I also played over a SWR and I think it sounds too HI-FI, the Ampeg has greater lows.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Of the two you suggested, even though I am an Ampeg guy, I would go with the SWR. To me, the Pro series 410 sounded too muddy. Great if you are looking for a dub/reggae type of sound, but it lacks the punch that I was looking for.

To me, the SVT410HLF is a much better sounding cab than both of those that you mentioned, but you weren't looking for other opinions here, so I will shut up.:D
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I own a pair of Goliath IIs which I really like. When I'm at Guitar Center banging on basses, my favorite rig is an Ampeg B2R head into the Ampeg PR410HLF.

The PR410HLF is an awesome cabinet!!!! It's huge and heavy (and expensive) but the sound is wonderful. I recently traded emails with a guy who uses one live and he agreed with my speculation that the PR410HLF is Ampeg's best kept secret.

With the nifty Ampeg switching system at GC I alo A/Bd the PR-HLF against the SVT-410HLF...there was no comparision. Only the new SVT-610HLF approaches the sonic bombast of the PR-410HLF.

If I had to do it over again and I had the $$$ (and the proper amp to handle multiple 4 ohm cabs) I'd go with a pair of PR-410HLFs.