Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 20, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Ok I'm getting a new rig soon, and this is how it is going down. My friend is gonna trade me his Goliath Sr for a Goliath III. I've considered getting a complete SWR just because I want a matching stack. I've thought about the SWR 750x to go with the Goliath Sr, or I've always had my eye on Ampeg. I've also thought about finding a sucker to trade the Goliath Sr for an Ampeg 810 and getting a used SVT 4 Pro. Keep in mind, I will be playing pop-punk/rock and will be using a Stingray as my main bass. Which would you go for? Its one of the other, no other suggestions.

~Patrick

2. I wouldn't worry about having a matching stack. Just get the combination of amp and cabinet that you think sounds best. As for me, I like SWR cabinets better than Ampeg cabinets, but I like Ampeg amps better than SWR amps. They really sound much different. Think about what kind of music you're going to play, and what sound you want. It also depends on what kind of bass you have. Try searching the threads for SWR and Ampeg. Most people find that Ampegs have a warmer, more old school sound, while SWRs have a cleaner, more hi-fi sound.

If it were me, I'd definately get the SVT-4Pro with the Gollieth Senior, but you're not me. See if you can try the amps side by side in a store or something. :bassist:

3. First of all, GREAT plan!

Second, the good news is that there's lotsa suckers out there!

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I wouldn't trade the Goliath SR. for an Ampeg 8-10.IME the SR. is a much better cab.Have you considered getting a GK head to push the SR.GK heads seem to match up with the SWR cabs very well.Much better than the SWR heads IMO.The 1001RB(540 watts),1001RBII(700watts) or 800RB would push the SR. quite nicely.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I havent tried GK because there is no local dealer. I've heard great things about them. I'm wanting a matcing stack simply for the fact that I am vein.

~Patrick

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Speaking of suckers: used Ampeg 810's can usually be had for $400 while a used Goliath Sr. will pretty much always bring $600. I know. I've bought and sold both cabs numerous times.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I'm quite the SWR whore, but if you're playing pop-punk exclusively, do the Ampeg thing. :)