SWR or Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klejst, Apr 28, 2012.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Hey everyone, I am looking into buying a new 610 cabinet, however am stuck between getting the either the SWR Goliath Sr 610 (shiny silver grilled model) or the Ampeg SVT HLF 610. Both cabs are in great condition, however are being sold out of my state so I cannot personally play them. I have owned a Mesa Powerhouse 610 before (which I sold a while back for other reasons) and loved the tone and a few on here have told me the tone of the SWR is pretty close to that of the Mesa PH. But the SWR is also about 30 pounds lighter.

Many say they love the Ampeg tone, but it is just not as good as the older models before they were bought out. I am looking for insight and help in helping me make the best match for my amp which is a Peavey Tour 450 and my style which is 90/10 playing with a pick and I play mostly rock music that can get loud so I need some good volume. However a cab that is versatile is a plus as well.

Any pros and cons of one to the other or input from those of you who have experience with each or either cab would be appreciated. Unfortunately neither cab is in stock at my local ma and pa music stores or the Guitar Center in my city. Bummer, so I am going off video and text reviews and word of mouth. Thanks!

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    No contest - the SWR will get louder, has stronger lows, and is generally a more durable, better built cab... The Ampeg 610 is junk, when compared to pretty much every other 610 on the market... If you think it'll be anything like your Mesa 610 was, you'll be sorely disappointed...

- georgestrings

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Don't agree at all with that assessment. Not played the Mesa 610 but I have played the Goliath, and I don't consider the 610hlf inferior in any way. Might have not felt that way when it first came out and SLM was using OSB and dark sounding speakers, but newer ones are made of plywood and have better sounding speakers. I think George must have had an SLM 610hlf, and no offense to SLM, but I didn't tell them to use OSB ;)

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Both weigh a lot (115 lbs) and have tweeters, ports, and tilt back wheels. My advice is to find the same type cabinets at local dealers, bring the same head and bass, and try them out. This is a matter of YOUR taste, though in my opinion, the Goliath Sr. is louder, and the HLF has more bottom. Don't remember what the tweeter control is like on the Ampeg, but the SWR has a good attenuator for the Foster horn.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    This is my shocked face: :eek: - hahaha!!!

But seriously - I've played several of them, and they just don't put out as much volume as any other ported 610 on the market... I think the reason is that the box itself wasn't designed large enough - Amepeg's 610HLF is basically the same depth as their 810e, but ported - whereas, their 410HLF is atleast 6 inches deeper, if not more...

*I* think Ampeg's SVT-610HLF was designed by marketing, just like Mesa's PH1000/1200 cabs, and not designed properly, acoustically speaking... Sure, if you don't push them hard, they'll sound OK - but no way can they hang with the Goliath Sr or PH610, when putting out higher volumes and low end...

I *wanted* to like the SVT-610HLF, since I could've made a trade for my PH610, put some $$$ back in my pocket, and ended up with a cab that was easier to load, due to being lighter and taller... unfortunately, the SVT-610HLF couldn't cut it in my typical band situation... Lest anyone think I hate all Ampeg cabs - I've owned several 810e and 410HLF cabs, and would own either again...

- georgestrings

6. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Like I said I am unable to just go to a local music store and try out these cabs because they are not in stock anywhere right now. The Guitar Center in my area is too new yet to have a very abundant used section and as far as amps on the floor I was told by an associate they order bigger stuff because it takes up too much room having bigger cabs on the floor. Last time I was there there only big cab they had was an Acoustic 810.

My thoughts were going towards the SWR Goliath Sr. as well, but wanted to ask about the Ampeg. If I could find a Mesa PH again in my price range then I would jump on it, however that is proving difficult right now. I am sure the SWR would be a good substitute though. I hear a Mesa 215 is a great cab as well, missed my chance on one of those road ready models a couple days ago.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, good deals don't usually last long - ya gotta jump on 'em, or they'll get away...

- georgestrings

8. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Yep, it happens.

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Inactive

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    I'm a pro SWR but... have been playin with a 610 ampeg recently for a blues gig (had the chance to have it stacked with an SVT CL), and it definitely rocks. And i saw a guy playing a stingray with a pick on a 610 hlf, waow.... really killing!

Never played a 610 SWR, not more than a 410 with an SM 400 or a redhead, that's not the same sound, but I'm a jazz-funk guy , so....

10. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I understand. I am more of a rock guy, however would like a cab that can handle some versatility. I knew when I asked I would get some who prefer the SWR and some who would prefer the Ampeg. It makes it harder when that happens, but like I said I am unable to go try these out in person which is what really makes the choice hard.

11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    It goes to show...different tastes...I went to buy a 410HLF and ended up with the 610HLF as playing them next to each other, I thought that the 610 had a much nicer midrange and less muddy boom over the 410.

Using the 610HLF, it seems to sound better farther out (say over 20 feet or so). Being that I am either playing on smaller stages or just go through the PA (and bring a smaller amp), I don't use mine much anymore.

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Inactive

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    Seems that you tend to want that SWR cab... :bag:

Talking about versatility, yeah of course ! but carefull with SWR's tweeter, can sound really harsh in the highs if uncorrectly set up IMHO.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That is true, if you really dial it up, crank the highs, and slap it, but I actually LIKE the ice pick clank. It is dialed out with ease—turn down the tweeter control, lower the highs on the preamp and instrument, bada-bing—bada-boom, all fixed.

14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up. I generally either turn the tweeter/horn off or barely have it on anyways. Yeah it seems I am partial to the SWR cab, but like I said if I could afford another Mesa cab then it would be no question that is what I would go with.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021