SWR or Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peteroberts, Jun 5, 2002.

1. I am looking at getting a huge amp, I may start doing some larger rooms pretty soon...I have not heard an Aguilar, I hear they are great but they are MUY expensive...anyways, if you had a choice, would you go with an SWR SM-900 or an Eden WT-800? I am using a 1x15 and a 2x10, Eden cabs but they are loaded with Carvin speakers...my SWR Workingman's 4004 sounds great through it but I have heard a few Edens and I like them too (massive low end!)

So, SWR SM-900 or Eden WT-800? My other choice is to get a good preamp to power a Crown CE 1000.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    WHA? Who in their right mind loaded Eden cabs with Carvin speakers? That's like gutting the moose! Awe man, this is a dark day...

I'd go with the Eden WT-800. Articulate, warm, and really versatile. I'd take it in a heart beat.
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    EDEN! But of course it comes down to which sound you like better. They are both professional top of the line amps loaded with similar features but they do sound different....**listen to them** and buy the one that speaks to you.

I was choosing between the same two amps and chose the Eden. If you do play the Eden leave the tone knobs at 12 o'clock to start (except Enhance, leave that far left at first). The tone knobs are VERRRY sensitive....use sparingly.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Eden WT800...and I'll sell you a near mint one at a great price. :)
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    But before you do, please do yourself a favor and go to the Eden website and buy yourself some Eden speakers for those cabs.

Sure their amps are great, but their cabs are just so much beter than any other.

Besides, cabs are built to be tuned to the specific speakers placed inside them. So basically your not tuned correctly my friend (not in the same sense as out of tune with your bass).

Im sure anyone else that has read or studied anything on acoustics and speaker design will agree.

6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm gonna have to go against the grain and say get an SM-900. i think it sounds alot clearer and has more usable features

but definitely get some eden speakers for those cabs.
  7. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
  8. *Personally*, I would go with the SM-900... of course, I own one and love it :)... I would never go so far as to say SWR is *better* than Eden... tons of people swear by each. Eden's are a tad more expensive and some people treat them as being "improved" versions of SWR equipment. They are definately similar, but they definately have a different sound... It's really up to you to decide which sound you want. If I were to put my finger on it i'd say that SWR accentuates the "upper midrange" a bit better and Eden concentrates more on the "lower midrange"... This leads to the "Eden has more growl and thump and low end" and the "SWR is more articulate, clearer, more defined" comments. Personally I prefer the SWR tone. This changes depending on your style and your instrument. Do yourself a favor and check them both out... outside of the tone, they're roughly equal so whichever one sounds better to you should be pretty much the only factor... in all honesty you probably can't really go wrong with either one...

Good luck!

9. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    They're both great. You really would have to try them both. I'd probably say get the Eden since you already have eden cabs (REPLACE THE SPEAKERS), but I like the SWR alot to.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What kind of music will you be playing through this?
    I find that Eden has a better rock tone where SWR has a better jazz tone.

I dont know Jazz well, but I do know Rock, and Eden can really work out for that. Im actually looking at the Eden WT-400.

11. OK, to everyone giving me grief about the Carvin speakers...THE EDEN SPEAKERS JUST CANT HANG. I use a Workingman's 4004 to drive these cabs now, and I get too much 'play' from the Eden speakers...they wanna give in pretty early, where the Carvin speakers just take everything the amp can dish out. Yeah, it sounds different, but with some tone adjustments no problem...I have to turn up the horn on the 2x10 cab to get a good sound. I have blown up 2 Eden 10's and at $150 a pop, expensive. I have not even come close to getting towards the limit on the Carvin speakers. You won't be able to talk me into going back to the Eden speakers.
  12. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    have you tried a rogue head?
  13. nope, dont know rogue...what's the scoop?
  14. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I was just joking b/c of the carvin thing. Sorry.:)

I guess if you like it thats all that matters.
  15. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Well if your going to stick with the Carvin speakers then I'd change my vote to the SWR head.