swr or GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Jun 18, 2003.

1. hey im lookin for new rig. i am down to a avatar 4x10 and a GK head and the SWR workingmans 4004 with the 4x10 for 1000. no music dealers carry either GK or SWR so your opions are appreciated. and what kind of tone do each of these have? is the swr 4x10 1x15 worth the extra 250 dollars? and has fender changed the tone/quality of the SWR products?
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Tone is very subjective - what do your local dealers have that you could try and perhaps even consider buying?

3. I'd honestly go with the GK head... If you can get a real SWR Rig, go for it, but that avatars are good **** and Id reccomend that anyday to any one... This sucker pushes quite a lot of air for the size of it... Avatar any day...;) [​IMG]
  4. ampeg (b2r(yuck))
    mesa boogie (out of my price range
    peavy (yuck)
    umm edin (again out of my price range)
    and some others i cant think of the rest
  5. I wouldn't disregard the Peavey gear all together. I had a budget of about $3000 and it was still a serious contender (it boiled down to Eden and Peavey's "Pro" seies for enclosures). I wound up buying a Peavey DPC1400X power amp and a Peavey Max Bass Pre-Amp along with an Acme Low B-4.
  6. i have a peavy. i dont like the tone i can get out of it. i played alot of peavys too
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Okay, so you've got a list of stuff you definitely don't like:
    What don't you like about those amps. People who've played those and SWR or GK can tell you if there are any 'yuck' factors in common.

You've also got the ones that I presume you like, but can't afford, or that you don't comment on:
    So, what works about those? Again, you're looking for factors that can help someone else say something like, "I've noticed exactly the same thing about Eden, and the SWR XXX gives the same kind of sound...".

8. SWR

GK with that goofy X watts woofer 1/3X watts
    tweeter is just plain wierd. I don't know of
    any GK owners that use that feature.
  9. some ampeg suff sound great to me but the B2R the EQ didn't really do to much for the sound for me.. crate what more can i say? i have played them i dont like the tone same with peavy.
  10. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I use the X over feature on my GK:oops:
  11. Ok. I take that back. :D