Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR or Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkmasterskilit, Apr 16, 2001.

1. funkmasterskilit

funkmasterskilit

May 12, 2000
    Ok guys I need some help. I'm on the verge of purchasing a new rig. Just give me some opinions on the ups and downs of each SWR and Mesa Boogie. Thanx

2. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    it depends which models you are lookin at

3. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Well MESA gear is really top notch. They're cabs are built much better. They're both good companies though. It kinda depends on what kinda tone your looking for.

4. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I agreed totally with killer B.....what kind of tone are you looking for?

5. funkmasterskilit

funkmasterskilit

May 12, 2000
    just a nice funk, slap, all around good sound

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Aren't we all looking for that? :)

7. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Well then it's kind of a tought call. I can get a killer slap sound from my all tube BASS 400+. I haven't spent much time with an M-2000 but the few times I've plugged into one they sounded really good and I've always heard good things about them. Mesa also has 2 new hybrid heads coming out kinda like simpler versions of the M-2000 (which has like 5 billion knobs). SWR amps to me seem a little more modern, but also not as warm and phat. They do have a really good tone though really clear highs and a very tight low end. Very clean to, if almost "too clean" for the more grittier and grindier rock type sounds (the exception being the interstellar overdrive). The Mesa's can get very good grindy rock tones. But really the best thing to do would be to play your bass through both.(I know that's what everyone always says but hey they got a point there)

8. Handful

Handful

Apr 13, 2001
    Boston
    One night I am leaving a bar. I have my 4004head atop my 4X10 - and I'm wheeling through the streets of Boston's Fenway Neighborhood. See, since I live one block from the bar, I decided to just roll it home. *yes, because I'm drunken moron*

Well, anyway, the caster hit a pothole - the wheel SPLIT and the 4004 head took a digger.

Amazingly enough, the head was fine-but one of the plastic corners was scuffed bad and as I had mentioned the wheel in the caster split.

I called SWR - they shipped (for free) the replacement parts at no charge.

Now, that's a damn fine company taking pity on irresponsible bass-players (c'mon you're out there)

9. I've used Mesa/Boogie amps for a while and I have tried every amp on the planet (or at least in the California area) and I have found that the Boogies are the BEST. Great sound and reliability and their cabs rule. SWR is good but I found them to be a little too commercial for my liking and they seem to cut corners when it comes to sound and the construction of the amps. Go for Mesa/Boogie and get a 400+ if you like funk bass.

10. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Wow this is new where is ampeg ? I never used the mesa boogie bass line, but I have a SWR stack with a 750 head and i love it ! I use two 4X10 goliath 3 cabs. lots of power and bottom and you can feel it., sounds great and i never had a problem,

11. I find Ampeg to be over rated and I find that their tone is not so good. Even the SVTs sound a bit too "bassy" meaning they dont give you much of a choice in tone other than "Big Bass" and "Bigger Bass".

12. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i prefer mesa boogies to swr's as well. the mesa cabs just seem to be built more solid. plus, i hate carpet covered cabinets. i think tolex ages a lot better than carpet. to me, a beat up tolex cabinet looks much better than a fuzzy carpet cabinet.

13. I've got the road ready Mesa/Boogie cabs and they some with steel chassis and aluminum edges for only $200 more. It is basically a well built travel case. It laughs at the ugly Ampeg cabs and it doesn't have that interfering thick front covering.

14. jugdish

jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    Mesa all the way, Great customer service versus the sh***y service I got from SWR.

15. Jugdish isn't lying. I live in Petaluma and I've actually stopped by Mesa Engineering to get my stuff. The guy in charge, Darryl, is really cool and knows what he's doing. Mark (Snyder) built me a rack for all my gear. I still had to pay for it though, but it was well worth it.