Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR or Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guildguy33, Aug 31, 2005.

1. guildguy33

guildguy33

Aug 31, 2005
    Hey guys, just found this site and need some info asap - looking to go with either mesa roadhouse 1x15 and 2x10 cabs or the same but with SWR instead. I'm currently using a swr 350x but looking to upgrade to either the 750x or the mesa m-pulse 600 if I go with the boogie cabs. I really like the mesa stuff but I'm probably looking at an additional $500-700 for the cabs and amp. I'm a little leery going with the SWR since Fender now owns them and Mesa's reputation is supposedly second to none. Is the difference in price justified?

What's a guy to do?!!!

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I've always liked the Mesa sound more than the SWR sound. I would make the decision based on your personal preferences regarding the sound. (Both are reliable and structurally sound, as far as I know.)
    Doug
    (a.k.a. Master of the Obvious)

3. SWR is still a great company... and builds great equipment.

I like the sound of mesa better than swr...

have you listened to both? that seems like the easy answer...

I feel mesa has a better rock tone... swr definitely better for funk/r&b

4. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Vote for swr here, better tone IMO, seems to be generally more affordable, but i could be wrong.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Mesa. Also tends to be louder than SWR.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would go with the M-Pluse head.

If you are playing in E and D primarily, the SWR cabs would probably be a good deal. Mesa cabs have a little better ability to push low notes at high volumes.

7. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    both are excellent setups and you wont be disappointed either way. see if you can play both rigs. boogie will have a fatter/warmer low end, great for rock, where swr seems to lean toward funk. i use to play heavy rock with a goliath III and bass 750 and loved my tone with my cirrus. very growly but not very warm. ive played the new swr stuff and it sounds identical to my pre fender gear i use to own. i dont think their quality/reliability has changed at all.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'ts really personal preference as others have said. I much prefer Mesa, but I'm sure there are SWR fans out there too.

9. Im a recent Mesa convert, and I really love the sound.

I have a Walkabout right now that is wonderful. Very nice sounding tube front end on it and honestly its the closest thing Ive ever heard to the sound in my head.

I do agree that the Mesa is a great sound for rock players. As for the SWR stuff, I have had only very limited experience with SWR, but I do remember it had a very clean tone. It really depends on personal preference, like most everything in amps and basses you buy. The easiest thing honestly is to play if or hear a sound clip of it if you can.

Good luck
    Dave

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Mesa gear is the shiz-nite. If it were lighter, I'd still own it.

I plan on buying a Walkabout head to pair up with my 1210 sometime in the future. I really miss my M-Pulse 600. That was a killer amp... Granted I love my Demeter pre, but, that was still a killer amp.

11. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    IMO you can't go wrong with the Mesa sound.... :bassist:

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I much prefer the Mesa stuff, even though it costs more. And I was making my comparisons before Fender took over and decided to add 1000 different models to the line......Workingman Pro? Gimme a break.

13. guildguy33

guildguy33

Aug 31, 2005
    Thanks for all the info - I'm going with the Mesa - I play mostly classic rock stuff - 60s & 70s, so it sounds like the Mesa might be a better fit. And I tend to keep the gear that I like for a long time - so even though it's a bit more expensive up front, I look at it as a "sound" investment - sorry, couldn't resist!

14. For classic rock you made the right decision. The mesa is alot beefier than the SWR. Never actually tried a 750x though, only the 550x. I felt like it was a bit underpowered, whereas the mesa was louder than I expected.

15. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    +1

i found my bass 750 thru a goliath III to be under powered. dont know if swr is generous with their ratings or what because their cabs are suppost to be really efficient.