SWR or Nemesis Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baddarryl, Aug 19, 2009.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I want a practice amp that is a little more than my Ibanez Soundwave 20 so I can practice and run a drum machine at same time. A better small combo will do even as a small gig amp as well. I have a larger rig, so I am not that worried about gigging out with these, but still want the tone of a better amp in my room. I have been looking at these. Both seem like a deal:

http://www.activemusician.com/item--UR.N12

http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.449-0000-000

Opinions? Thanks.

2. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    I haven't played the SWR but I own the N12 and love it. The only downside is it doesn't have a XLR out. I use it with a jazz combo all the time and it works great. Great tone for fretless or fretted.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Between SWR (Fender) and Eden (Washburn) I always choose SWR. I have played SWR for over 20 years now and love it. I did have an Eden once. Blew it up in a matter of weeks. I also had a SWR WM Combo that I blew up in about 2 months. I did not have much success with the entry level amps.

4. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    what about the mark mini?

I do not have any experience with this combos but just by the look,
    The SWR looks more solid.

I guess you’ll have to go and try them.

I know I’m not helping much but just because X brand is good; doesn’t mean that every product is good.

5. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Mark mini? Price. I am trying to stay in that sub $400 range. As I said, I just need a good bed room amp.

6. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I've tried the LA series from SWR, and I really like the SWR brand. The LA series is pretty good, especially the LA15. I was also pretty impressed with the workingpro SWR line, but they are a bit more expensive. For bang for the buck, and highly decent tones, I like the Yorkville/Traynor line.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    How about the Fender Bassman 100 combo?

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Why these two in particular? :confused:

If you want to go for a Nemesis - which I would wholeheartedly encourage by the way - then look for an NC-210 in good condition on the aftermarket. Makes a great practice amp - but will also cut it for band rehearsals, recording sessions and smaller gigs, if you so choose.

I own one myself and couldn't be happier for what I paid: $275 delivered. :hyper:

MM

9. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Yeah, I am just gonna hang in there until something pops up used at fire sale price. Thanks for your input all.........if not I would go with the SWR most likely.

10. Droopy

Droopy

Oct 18, 2009
    Don't get the SWR LA series. They sound great and blow up good too.

I have have Nemesis Combo for years and it works great, but I like the sound of the SWR more.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021