1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR pre fender 4x10 VS Avatar 4x10 neo???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emohair, Sep 27, 2008.

1. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    I was wondering if anyone could advise me on a potential purchace.

I have been wanting to snag an old Goliath II, but have been turned off by the power handling and weight....but have seen lots of people playing through them over the years.

Then the Avatar has better power handling and is lighter....but a little bigger and im worried I might still get the same sound that I get out of my Avatar 2x10 neo which is ok but def not low enough for my 5 string and kinda sounds cheap IMO. Am I going to get the same sound out of the 4x10 avatar? HELP TB!

btw...current rig
    pre fender SWR pre
    Mackie 1400 power amp
    (this is what I will be using to power the cab(cabs, also have a 15)

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    My Avatar 4x10 Neo could handle the low B of my Ibanez Prestige BTB1206 and my MTD Z6 amazingly.

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I have my poweramp (SVP-1500) and my preamp (Sansamp BDDI Prog.) cranked and the Avatar 410 neo handles it flawlessly. I'm plenty loud and get a lot of compliments on my tone from other bassists. I like it so much the next purchase I make will be another 410 neo

A/B'd with a Goliath II....I can't help you there. I will say that I would rather have two 56 lb cabs over one 90 lb cab.

EDIT: This setup handles the B on my one and only bass; a Wick Thumb BO, just fine.

4. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    i also need to use the measurments to make sure I can fit this thing somewhere in my 97 Camry lol!! I do like the fact I could get a 4ohm version from Avatar...more juice from my amp...more headroom.

I hope someone that has a SWR 4x10 reads this, im specifically looking for opinions on the pre-fender 4x10 goliath II!!!!

5. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I run two Avatar 2-10 neos and they don't sound cheap.

Why not just buy an Avatar 2-12 bottom for your rig?

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I use 2 210 Neo's running at 2ohm and they handle my B-strings just fine. I only play 5-strings.

But... I don't bump the eq and pound the low frequencies relentlessly.