Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huskies90, Jun 5, 2005.

1. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Does anyone know the differnce between the different versions of the SWR Interstellar overdrive? There is a blue face, chrome face and polished aluminum/dome logo version. I think the first two are just cosmetic (like the red face/chrome bass 350). Is there a difference between the newest version.

Also, how does the Grand Prix compare with the IOD?

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I don't know much about the others, but the Grand Prix was probably my favorite pre SWR made. One of my buddies still has/uses his and I really dig em. I guess though. I am not really much help heh!

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i used to own the middle one, the only difference i know of is that somewhere in 1999 (while they were making the pre-fender chrome faced version) they re-designed the DI to be protected from phantom power. i have the email from fender explaining how to figure it out from your serial number if you need it

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I had the blue face one. I've never heard the other versions. I loved mine though, I wish I hadn't sold it.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have the pre-Fender chrome and black-faced model. I doubt there's any huge sound difference between it and the original blue and silver model. The blue/silver model would be easier to read on a dark stage, for sure.

Since I now have a Demeter HBP-1 and a Read Purity, my I.O.D. is up for sell.

6. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Thanks for the info guys.

Arthur, I sent you a PM...

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hope you like the IOD.

Thanks, -Art