1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huskies90, Jun 5, 2005.

1. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Does anyone know the differnce between the different versions of the SWR Interstellar overdrive? There is a blue face, chrome face and polished aluminum/dome logo version. I think the first two are just cosmetic (like the red face/chrome bass 350). Is there a difference between the newest version.

Also, how does the Grand Prix compare with the IOD?

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I don't know much about the others, but the Grand Prix was probably my favorite pre SWR made. One of my buddies still has/uses his and I really dig em. I guess though. I am not really much help heh!

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i used to own the middle one, the only difference i know of is that somewhere in 1999 (while they were making the pre-fender chrome faced version) they re-designed the DI to be protected from phantom power. i have the email from fender explaining how to figure it out from your serial number if you need it

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I had the blue face one. I've never heard the other versions. I loved mine though, I wish I hadn't sold it.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have the pre-Fender chrome and black-faced model. I doubt there's any huge sound difference between it and the original blue and silver model. The blue/silver model would be easier to read on a dark stage, for sure.

Since I now have a Demeter HBP-1 and a Read Purity, my I.O.D. is up for sell.

6. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Thanks for the info guys.

Arthur, I sent you a PM...

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hope you like the IOD.

Thanks, -Art