SWR Professional Series 550x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    :cool: Aloha From Hawaii...

I'm the "old guy" newbie that initially seeked comments and/or advice regarding Hartke cabs with an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head. Mahalo (thank you) to all of you who responded, as your replies were taken to heart.

Now I intend to throw you all a curve ball with this: I totally took a right turn into the pineapple field! I did a ton of research on the I-net and discovered Jim Bergantino. I read about him and his company, soaked-in as many comments I could find... and most all were highly positive, spoke with John at Bass Emporium down in Austin, TX, and now I have an NV215 (2 x 15" + 1 x 6") on it's way here to paradise. This cab is costing me some serious $$$, plus shipping to Hawaii, so I've now found myself looking for an economical, yet "worthy" amp to drive this cabinet.

The cab is rated 600w @ 4 Ohms. I found an "affordable" amp that has now sparked my interest: SWR's 550x. It's supposedly rated 550w @ 4 Ohms...

I welcome any testimonials, thoughts, and/or advice...

Mahalo! :bassist:
  2. Hey there.. check your PM.
  3. clearskies2

clearskies2 Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    The SWR 550X is a reasonably priced, great sounding head. I've tried quite a few of these out and ended up getting a 750X for a few more bucks. I love the tone, power, and punch from these amps. I know, that's a personal preference for most people and many would debate here, but "only you know what you like". The only thing about the 350/550/750x series is that a lot of people say the effects of overdrive and subwave are useless. I don't use them either for the type of music I play, but that really wasn't the reason I bought the amp in the first place. Best of luck to you.
  4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I briefly owned a 750X (about a week) and could never get a tone I liked out of it. It had great midrange presence and cut through the mix very well (almost a little too well at times), but it just couldn't give the warm tone I was looking for. Personal tastes vary in regards to tone, so that will be entirely subjective to your own ears. As far as construction and functionality goes, I thought the 750X was very well built and the controls were easy to use.
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    John's a great guy to deal with... enjoy your cab. Did you consider the aguilar 500SC. It's around the same price and same power rating? You also may want to consider the eden WT550.

I've heard that cab with a 550x and IMHO I don't think it brings out the strengths of the cabinet
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The SWR was too clear and articulate for me. There must be one on the island somewhere that you can try out. Of course, if you buy it from Musicians Fiend you can send it back and you are just out the shipping charges. In your case probably 50$. :meh:
  7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i had a bass 350 (the same preamp as the x series without the effects) and i felt that my sm-500 sounded better- clearer in the mids, louder and more oomph (both with the eq flat). you can get a good deal on swr stuff used right now since the fender service horror stories are plentiful. i have never played through that cab though, just swr cabs...