Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR quality

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpiralEyes123, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Hey, im not new to bass but im new to bass amps. I just use my sisters guitar amp and have played that for 2 years. Now im in a band and need a good sized rig. My teacher has suggested Ampeg and SWR. Im sure ampeg is great but I can't find a set-up just for me. My price range is about 1000. I have noticed the SWR rigs on Musiciansfriend.com with a Workingmans 4004 head, a 2x10 and a 1x15 for just over a thousand.

I am wondering if this is a good deal and what would you guys suggest for around $1000.

By the way im playing a Schecter Elite-5 diamond series.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The workingmans heads are kinda overpriced for what they are, and are kinda just bland in tone. :meh: Some like that, but alot don't.

If you want a good affordable rig for that price, might I suggest the Yorkville XS400H head, along with some Avatar cabs from www.avatarspeakers.com This will sound much better, give you many more features, and give you the most bang for your buck. The head has a tube preamp, as well as a tube OD channel. For $479 it can't be beat. Also, the avatar cabs are awesome cabs for the money. They have the same speakers in them most name brand companies use, but have a higher wattage handling and you don't pay for a name brand. In a month or so i'm ordering some cabs from there.

Good luck in your search for a good rig! :bassist:

3. If I were to get the Yorkville head, which cabs would you suggest from Avatar ? It is still not clear to me about Watt output, RMS handling, and OHM. If I get a 400 watt head ( like the Yorkville or the Workingmans ) do I need a cab that has a higher watt handling ? What Im really asking is, how can I get a really loud sound w/o blowing it ?

Thanks for all the help:)

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd get the 210 & 115 or 212 from Avatar. You'll want both in 8 ohms so you get a 4 ohm load so you get the maximum output from the head.

5. Yeah, that is my thinking.

Thanks so much for the help !:D

6. how does the Ampeg B2R compair to the Yorkville XS400H ? They are similar prices.

7. Here's another source for well priced quality bass cabinets. Haven't tried them but they look like competition for Avatar...

http://www.drbasscabs.com/

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Ampeg B2R has the quietest 350 watts you'll ever hear, has much less features than the Yorkville, and costs more. A very good sounding head yes, but overrated in power. You shouldn't regret getting the yorkville.