1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigTman, May 19, 2011.

1. I've got an older model SWR Goliath II 4-10 I purchased years ago. You know, the ones made at Sylmar Ca. that kick ass.

How do you tell if it's an 8 ohm or 4 ohm. It's not marked anywhere on the cabinet. Anybody know how to tell? thanks

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The filter for the tweeter can throw off an ohmeter on the speaker cable so take off the jackplate in the back. The speakers might be labeled on the back so look in there, if not test the wires going to the 10's leaving the tweeter out of the equation.

3. From the factory it should be an 8 ohm cabinet, most were. IF it were 4 ohm SWR would have a badge on the front grill reading "4 Ohm". As mentioned before, check the impedance of the jack with an ohmeter. It will not read "exactly" at 8 ohms, but should be close. Impedance is a complex AC resistance measurement that cannot be accurately measured with a DC ohm meter.

4. Christov, I'm pretty sure you are correct. thanks for your reply.

5. will33, thanks.