Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tim639, Mar 10, 2001.

1. tim639

tim639

Mar 10, 2001
    I'm looking to get an SWR head and cabinets. I know i want a Goliath III, but I can't decide between adding a Son of Bertha or a Big Ben. They are the basically the same price, and as the horn on the son of bertha is unnecessary, i'm choosing between a 15" or 18". Any recommendations, i'm leaning towards the Big Ben.

Also will the Bass 350 be enough push the Goliath III and the Big Ben? Or should I go ahead and get the 750? Any response at all is appreciated.

Thx

2. The big ben is a great cabinet, IMO one of, if not the best sounding 18 incher around. This is what I'd do for a rig:

Rig #1:
    SWR Bass 350
    SWR Goliath III
    SWR S.O.B.

or Rig #2:
    SWR Bass 750
    SWR Goliath III
    SWR Big Ben

Basically the big ben needs a lot of power to sound good and the 750 would be more than enough, but I'm kind of weiry if the 350 could do the job well. Rig#1 would be cheaper and more portable, but Rig#2 would sound sooooo good. Either way, if you could get the 750 I'd get that 'cause it's more power.

3. Well you can NEVER have too much power so I'd reccomend the 750.....But the 350 will drive two cabs no sweat. Personally. I'd suggest a 15 over an 18. They're faster tighter and punchier. I find that 18's (although Big Ben is one of the better ones) do nothing except create mud and excessive low end, and their projection characteristics make them louder in the house then thay are on stage..Which drives the soundman (me) and the audience nuts. Actually I prefer all 10s, and the goliath 3 is no slouch when it comes to low end. That's all I use, (with a vintage SVT) and it kicks. The second Goliath is coming soon! anyway just some food for thought

4. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    I used a Goliath III and a Big Ben for about 2 years, but recently swapped the BB for another Goliath III.
    With a little nudge on the bass knob on the amp., the rig now is much tighter and louder.

5. These guys are right. I use a Goliath II with an SM400S. When I use my 15" with it, I seem to get too much lows, and end up fighting the rig all night looking for clean sound.

6. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Go with the Big Ben.

I also have a Bass 350. I called the factory and they said the Bass 350 would have plenty of power to drive a Goliath III and a Big Ben.

With that 4 ohm loading, the bass 350 will put out 450 watts.

Let it happen.

7. actually i believe that amp puts out 450 watts at 2 ohms, 350 at 4.

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    While the 350 would be adequate I'm from the school that says buy the most power you can afford at the time.If the 750 is within your budget get it anyway..there is no downside and only upsides.

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I stand corrected. Here are the specs.

450 Watts @ 2 ohms
    350 Watts @ 4 ohms
    240 Watts @ 8 ohms

I think it would depend on the venue as to whether you would want the 350 or the 750.

For concert halls or coliseums or big outdoor performances, the 750 would be best.

For clubs dates, dances or studio work the 350 will be all you will ever need.

10. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I would ask SWR, or your local music store what amp to get for the speakers you decide to get, they will know best, because either they make it (in the case of SWR) ot they mess with it all day (in the case of the music store)

As far as the speakers go, he horn isn't useless depending on how you set it up/how you play. Never the less, in my opinion and from personal experience, I would go with the 18" because it will be more efficient (assuming you power it correctly) and it will last longer if you were to run it like you would the 15" cause I have had several 15" and they like to wear out after about two to three years of constant use.

11. Hi,
    I've got a bass750 driving two goliath III, and chose it over one goliath III and a 15''. I found that the 10's delivers all the bottom you need and has a lot more pronounced and even sound. The 10's doesn't 'favor' some strings (I think that 15's favors the lower freq's so that the thinner strings doesn't cut through). As for playing with a loud drummer, the 10's are way best. I tried a lot of 15's but they just doesn't cut thru'.
    About getting the 750 over the 350, I would say that you don't get knocked over by the power of the 750 (and that's not a SWR 'problem'. It was the same with all 'big' amps I tried), but you get knocked out by the sound of it when you turn it up. And you don't have to turn it up to insanely loud levels to hear that 750 watts keeps the sound much more focused that 350 watts. So 750 doesn't (in my opinion) play far louder than 350, but it plays far clearer.

Hope you get the right thing for you.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Just curious.... I receently moved away from a Redhead with another 2X10 extension to a rack set that has an SM500 and 2 Triads (a 10, a 15, and a tweeter in each box). I haven't gigged it yet, but I can't wait. Does this sound like a logical setup. Any obvious problems?

Per the SWR site, one of the recommended setups with the SM500 is 2 Triads.

Thanx,

James

13. Hey Malthumb , Just seen a SNL rerun the other day in which Tom Petty's Bassist had that exact set up. Trust me your sound is gonna be HUGE!

14. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    About SWR amps while they are on topic,,, as of now I have an Ampeg B2 combo- 15" sitting under a 200@8ohm/350@4ohm head,,, I've started playing in a band where the guitarists are both pumping through double stacks- Marshall JCM 2000 and an Ampeg V4 vintage,,, i need to move to something much larger so that i can pump enough volume and not get such a dirty sound at that level,,, what would be a large enough head and either single or double cab set up to suffice this need? And if you suggest an SWR 750 with Goliath III's or triads etc. then can someone also give an estimated price for that setup

15. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    If you are looking for a great set up that isn't too bass heavy or muddy. Why not try 2x10 and a 15. I have been searching for the best set up and found this set up is best for me. I have looked at 4x10 and 15 or 18 and it is too bass heavy. then I thought why not take out 2 of the 10's. that cured the problem for me. So now I have a Super Redhead which has 2x10 and a Son of Bertha 15. it sounds clear and tight. not too boomy and but not thin either.

just a thought...

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Hey Rockfiend,

I did the eBay thing twice to get my two Triads. My total price, including shipping on one (I picked up the other) was less than the $800 retail price for one Triad. You can also pick up decent deals on used Bass 750 amps on eBay or www.bassgear.com.

Peace,

James

17. As I stated before, I think 8x10's cuts through much better than 4x10's and 1x15. And plenty of bottom! So if your problem is cutting through a wall of guitars, consider 10's seriously.

Lars

18. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've been lookin into a 2x10 with 15 setup, and a 4x10 by itself as well to sit under a large head,,, only prob with the single cab(4x10) is the ohm factor many are at 8 impedance and to get max power out of a head you want to go to 4,,, so i'm leaning towards the 2x10 w/ 15" setup, under a head that can pack the punch(more than 400w at least) one question though,,, is it better to have 300 watts of tube amp, than like 500 watts of solid state because u can pump the tubes harder and they won't make such gross distortion(it will be more natural)?
    and, also, if a huge solid state head is still the way to go then is the difference between a bass 750 actually louder than the 500, or just cleaner??