Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Redhead 210T - ohm rating for ext speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodent, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have a '99 or '00 Super Redhead 210T combo with a chrome front grill. I would like to purchase an extension cabinet and make use of the external speaker output on my combo, but I am confused by statements in the Owner's Manual.

The Owners Manual states that the 210 combo cab is 4 ohm. It also states that it is recommended that an external cab be rated at 8 ohms. Why is it recommended to add a cab of a differing ohm rating? If I use an 8 ohm cab, will it not be quieter than the combo's internal 4 ohm speaker? The Owner's Manual also states that the amp will handle a 2 ohm load, indicating that a 4 ohm extension cab would be satisfactory - and the external speaker jack is labeled designating a 4 ohm (or greater) speaker be used.

Thanks for any clarification on this, as I plan to purchase an Avatar SB112 extension cab during the coming week.

R

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've owned one. They're just giving you a rating for the amplifier section @ 4 ohms, the cab section is actually 8 ohms. So...if you add another 8 ohm cab into a mono amp, you'll get 4 ohms, which will give you full power from the amplifier.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I could be wrong but I believe they recommend an 8 ohm cab is so the Redhead's own 10's don't get drowned out by you adding a 2nd cab. The internal speakers would get a little more juice and maybe would help to even out the sound. BUT, you can add either an 8 or 4 ohm cabinet since the Redhead's insternal speakers are at 4 ohms and the head pulls 2 ohms. You'll get the most power, 450 watts, at 2 ohms, about 400 at 2.67 and 350 at 4 ohms. Those 50 watts honestly won't make a damn bit of difference though so if you may as well get an 8 ohm cabinet and in the future if you decide to get a different amp it'll be more versatile as you'll be able to use this new Avatar and a 2nd 8 ohm cabinet to pull the maximum 4 ohm load from an amp as most amps run to 4 ohms but not 2. Confused yet?

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'm confused. Maybe I was wrong about the Redhead having an 8 ohm cab...either way, 8 ohm cabs are more flexible like he said.

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
  6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Thanks for all the feedback. Based on the discussion here and a note I received from SWR CS this morning, I have opted to go the 8 ohm route.

I ordered an Avatar SB112 this morning, and anticipate delivery by Wed afternoon. :hyper: I'll drop a follow-up after I have a little time to test run the rig.

R

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I used to own a Super Redhead.

As you said, internal cabinet impedence is 4 ohms.

If you add a 8 ohm cab you willget an impedence of 2.67 ohms and if you add a 4 ohm cab impedence goes to 2 ohms.

I used it with both my Eden D210XLT (4ohm cab) and my Bag End S15-CUS (8ohm cab) with no problems.

The Eden took an equal share of power because it was the same impedence. It is also rated at the same wattage as the combo's speakers. I could not tell a difference in volume between the two sets of speakers. Tonally they really complimented each other. I can tell you they sounded great together.

The Bag End, being an 8 ohm cab, recived less power. It is also very conservitavely rated at 200w. Volume wise I could hear the 10's better...but they are 10's! I felt the difference with the 115. It added what the combo by itself was missing...big bottom.

Get an 8 ohm cab. You will feel the difference. The few (very few) more watts you get by adding a 4ohm cab will be dang near inconsequential volume wise. Plus by getting the 8 ohm cab you will be able to use it with any other 8 ohm setup, providing that it goes down to 4 ohms.

Yup, that's what I'd do.

:D

Joe.