SWR Redhead Combo + what cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zoot, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    I play an SWR Redhead combo (350w 2x10) and want to add another cab to boost up volumes etc..

I think I will get an 8ohm cab rather than 4ohm. While the 4 ohm cab would make the current set up louder (as the rig would run at 2.67ohms), an 8ohm will be easier to pair up with any future amp set-ups etc???

What would be my best option....a 2x10 or 1x15 ???

I had a look on the Eden website (even though I own an SWR combo) and everyone says to add an additional 2x10 to their 2x10 Metro combo. What about SWR though? Some people are telling me I would be best off with a 1x15 for more apparant volume and depth...but no-one seems to like this set-up on the Eden Forum.

In addition to deciding whether to go for a 2x10 or 1x15, do I stick with an SWR cab or maybe get Eden etc???

Would anyone like to comment? I'd love to hear you advice and views.

Kind regards.
  2. Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would go with a 1x15 since SWR 2x10 cabs arent quite as deep as Eden. Plus SWR 1x15's are great, they have a lot of clarity and punch built in. What style are you playing? Maybe a 4x10 would be good too.
  4. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I paired the SOB with a Super Red. Then I sold it to get a Mesa Walkabout Scout. I finally found the sound for classic rock. The SWR was too transparent.
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been using an avatar sb112 8 ohm with mine. It works nice. I hope to move to an 8 ohm Schroeder 1210 soon.

Personally, I would avoid a pairing that leaves you at 2 ohms. I know swr says it's ok, but my experience is that it runs pretty hot that way.
  6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    According to tech support from SWR, it is recommended that an 8 ohm extension speaker be used. While it's possible to use a 4 ohm, tech support stated that "just because something can work doesn't mean it works best."

With this ohmage advice, I eventually bought an Avatar SB112 8 ohm as an extension speaker. Since most of my live sound is directly from my on-stage amp, I opted for a 12" vs 15" in an effort to eliminate boominess (i.e. unpleasant and unfocused low end.) Granted, a 15" sound soooo much better when standing 3' (1M) away from your amp. In the context of a large room, that low end turns to mushy slush in most medium to large size venues. As it turns out, the 12" has performed exactly as hoped, and a low B is able to project its kidney pulsing bottom with tightness in rooms seating 200.

As for any perceived volume difference ... well, at a distance of 10 feet you simply can't discern what sound is coming from which speaker as it's all blended into one solid bass sound. Standing about two feet away, there is the slightest difference in volume - but it's so small that you'd never know it if you weren't intently looking for it.

Given the choice between a 2x10 or 1x15 cab, I would (personally) say there is no choice and grab the 2x10 without second thought. If you're willing to consider a 1x12, you just might be surprised at how well it gets the job done when coupled with the combo you currently have.

All the best,

7. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I was using SWR's Big Ben with my Super Redhead. I finally got tired of lugging two cabinets around for "my sound", and bought a 2x15 cabinent. I have my Big Ben for sale if you're interested. Just replaced the 18 with the Bag End replacement. $200, and I'll meet halfway if you're within a 4hr drive of Toledo OH.
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    if you used a 4 ohm 4x10 cab, all 6 speakers would see the same amount of juice :cool:
  9. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i heard a guy playing through a (not super) redhead and goliath 2 combo- sounded sweet...
  10. Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    toughie then. Everyone seems to have a different idea.

What is considered the most verrsatile and complete sound then?

Two 2x10s.......or ..........2x10 and 1x15
  11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I have an old Redhead (240w @4 ohms) and paired it with my old Eden 4 ohm for a gig. I thought it sounded great but when I told a guy from SWR he said don't so that, get an 8 ohm cab. He made a funny face so I think he meant it.

There are many good choices, what do you want more of?
  12. murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    My Super Redhead is a 4 ohm rig. As far as I know, all of them are. If you put an 8 ohm cab with it, you will get around 400 watts at 2.67 ohms. With a 4 ohm extension, it gives you the full 450 watts at 2 ohms. There are obviously mixed opinions about whether or not this is good. I use a 4 ohm Goliath III Jr. (210) with mine and it really rounds out the sound. All speakers are getting the exact same amount of juice with that setup, but the amp does run a little hot. That's why I only use the extension when completely necessary. The manual recommends a 4 ohm 410, or an 8 ohm 210, or a couple of other extension cabs. I got a 4 ohm just for the simple fact that all speakers were getting the same amount of power.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Correct, and my bad, sorry.
    SWR told me to run an 8 ohm cab though, so that's what I bought.
    I've deleted my mis-informed previous post.
  14. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Any specific cab reccomendations to pair with the old redheads?I'm looking for good articulation.Will be playing rock and funk mostly
  15. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I liked the Triad with my Silverado 4x8 and tried it with a Redhead - sounded great.

Dan K.
  16. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I say use the Son of Bertha. I just got one and I use it with a Goliath Jr. III 2x10 sometimes and it sounds great. Gives some balls to the tens. I think you would be a lot happier vs adding another 2x10.

17. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I used to own an SWR Super Redhead. I wish I still did. Lately I have been gassing for another one.

Anyway...I bought two cabs to specifically use with it. A Bag End S15-CUS 8ohm and an Eden D210XLT 4ohm.

They each brought something to the table.

The Bag End (15 inch) gave the rig a more traditional tone which worked really well for what I was doing at the time.

The Eden (210) was actually punchier and bassier at the same time. And although with the Eden I was putting out a few more watts than with the Bag End it was not necessarily louder but was definitely a more tangible tone.

Of the two combinations I preferred the SWR/Eden combination.

I never had any heating issues at 2.67 OR 2 ohms BUT I was cautious and had a clip-on fan ventilating the back of the amp.

You do not have to be afraid of running at 2 ohms. It can handle it just fine at gigging levels with the right considerations.

SWR/Eden kicks butt! They really compliment each other.

Hope this helped.

18. LiamCohl

Jan 29, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    I have an swr super redhead, aftert the preamp the signal goes out the effects loop send, into a crossover, and the highs go back into the redheads return and into the 2x10, then I have the lows running into a peavey pv-1500 poweramp into an SWR big ben cab, it sound incredible and clear even at very high volumes and the lows are just deadly.
  19. I wonder how this came out for him? I know it's an old thread, but I was wondering what cab to add onto my own SWR SR. Anyone ever pair it with an Epifani?