1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Redhead - Perfect Extension Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tedantle, Mar 14, 2008.

1. tedantle

tedantle

Feb 22, 2008
    SWR Goliath III 4x10 4 Ohm?
    SWR Big Ben 1x18 8 Ohm?
    Eden XLT 4x10 8 Ohm?

I'm getting ready to look at a used Eden. Will likely drag my Red Head along for the ride to give it a shot.

Is wiring the only difference with 4 Ohm & 8 Ohm SWR & Eden 4x10 Cabs.

Am I trying to do too much with my Red Head (2006) 350 watts?

I might sell it and grab a 2008 aniversary model with 400 watts.

Clueless in Chicago. I need help from the veterans out there.

Thank you.

2. You'd be best to match up with a 8 ohm SWR 210, I believe the Golitath III would be the perfect mate as I think your combo is a 8 ohm Goliath III 210 with an amp on top.

I've done that and it sounded pretty good, however I found that I just did not have the output I wanted, I wound up selling both a long time ago and going with separate amps and cabinets.

Aaronbass1 likes this.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Possibly, but maybe not.

I have simultaneously driven a Goliath II 4x10 and a Son of Bertha 1x15 (both 8 ohms) with a pre-Fender SWR 350 silverface (not a 350x).

The application was a 10-piece soul band with 4 horns, 1 drummer, 1 guitarist, 1 bassist (me on a P-bass) and 3 vocalists. No keys, and a modest PA. It was just barely enough, (but it was enough) for large and small rooms and outdoors. We were not particularly loud.

I have kept that great little head for rehearsals and small jazz gigs. My other amp is a CA-6 and a couple of pre-amps.

4. Eden (and SWR..as well as most mfgs) make both 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabs of similar configs - 4x10, 2x10. The 350W "Super Redhead" (pre-08, now they just call them "Redheads" again) cabinet itself is 4 ohm. The SWR manual (and their customer service/tech reps) seriously suggest any ext. cabinet be 8 ohm, although "technically" you can pair it with a 4 ohm cab.
    ...from my manual:
    350 Watts @ 4 ohms (internal)
    400 Watts @ 2.67 ohms (or with an 8 ohm extension speaker connected)
    450 Watts @ 2 ohms (or with a 4 ohm extension speaker connected)
    Note: Internal speaker impedance is 4 ohms.

You do have essentially a Goliath III Jr., but those two internal PAS drivers are 4 ohms. You couldn't then pair it with yet ANOTHER cab of any resistance as it'll be underpowered, clip out, and the final resistance will be under 2 ohms...bad. (And you're out of jacks unless you daisy chain) Find some way to verify the resistance of the Eden cab you're checking out - it'll work with a 4 ohm cab, probably be louder, but then you'll need to pay stricter attention to amp overheating and clipping. As long as you know what you're dealing with. My advice is - if the cab is decently priced - that you anticipate finding another Eden later (if you like the Eden sound) to pair with a more powerful separate head. Short answer - you'll shortly have a GAS attack and decide you really needed a 600W head....but you'll already have half your speakers. The RedHead will become a practice amp or for horsing around with your accoustic friends.

5. tedantle

tedantle

Feb 22, 2008
    My Super Redhead is 350 at 4 ohm (internal speakers). bumps up depending on the added cab 4 ohm (450 watts) or 8 ohm (400 watts).

Just got off the phone with Eden rep. He was telling me the xst210 is rated as low as 30 hz! Problem is I'm lookin for something used (on the cheap, within reason $500 or so) So Sasowsky... You ran a Goliath II and a Son of Bertha at the same time of your Redhead? So you didn't run the internal speakers?

6. tedantle

tedantle

Feb 22, 2008
    Did every one know the XST series is rated at a lower hz than the xlt? I was surprized. They are so new there just aren't any handy at the price point I want. I really want a cab that can get to 30Hz. Very hard to find. I don't see anything out there. What do 5 string bass players use out there? And thanks Bassorama57.

7. I was using two 210XST's with a two channel Eden amp and throwing 300 watts per cabinet, at times I did not think that was enough. An 8 ohm 210 XST can run at 500 watts RMS, there is no way you'll have enough juice in that SWR to move that cabinet and it will wind up disorting and possibly getting damaged.

In reference to Eden's comment, I can personally vouch that the XST is a much lower sounding / feeling cabinet than the XLT, it just needs gobs of power to respond IMO.

I've got two XST's I'm trading in tomorrow, had them advertised here but no action, great cabinets and if I had it to do over again, I would have purchased 4 ohm versions.

M

8. tedantle

tedantle

Feb 22, 2008
    Thank you pbass78. I may be looking for a 4 ohm XST 4x10. Although it is not rated as low as the xst210. Pretty soon I'll have the right recipe, all I'll have to add is tallent!

9. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've run a similar setup, with a red faced SWR Bass 350 into a Goliath Jr. 2x10 and my beloved Big Ben 1x18. (LOVE that Big Ben!) The combination was fantastic. I've also run a pair of Goliath Jrs in the past, but I like the added depth of the Big Ben.

Matt

10. tedantle

tedantle

Feb 22, 2008
    So is it "all about" the Big Ben? I think that is the way I might go.

11. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

For me it is. I've held on to my Big Ben cab longer than anything else I've owned. It's loud and clear enough for me to use as a stand-alone, and I REALLY dig it when I can mix it with some tens, twelves, or even a fifteen occassionally.

Matt

12. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    +1 on big ben. Should be great. I miss my Big ben.