1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Redhead Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gussy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. gussy

gussy

Jul 4, 2012
    Hi, im just registered but have gawked at a lot of TB posts, it's a great forum.

I have a big problem with an SWR redhead that was given to me.
    It's a wonderful little amp, but there's an intermittent popping and crackling, kind of spitting sound, that's driving me bananas. It's making the amp unusable for gigs. The preamp and poweramp clip LED's both light up. I've changed the tube, and gonna over the input jacks again with a soldering iron, but it happens completely at random.

Has anyone ran into anything like this? It happens when Im not playing, too, so it's not just a silly clipping issue. Did I hear correctly that the enhancer level might have something to do with it?
    the reason I ask for help on here is Im in Ireland, there's only one relible amp guy around but he's not great on bass amps and he costs an absolute fortune. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

2. If the amp has an FX send and return try linking them with a short signal cable.

3. gussy

gussy

Jul 4, 2012
    interesting- can I ask why that might work?

Ive just played it for two hours without a pop - although another thing Ive noticed is that it happens if i use the push/pull bass and treble pots- clicking them in gives a great dirty preamp clip, although not the poweramp. seperate issue, im guessing. Never had much knowledge of amps, so apologies if this is all kid's stuff to you guys..

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Dirty pots?

5. If the FX loop normalizing switches a dirty or corroded linking the jacks bypasses the problem.

6. gussy

gussy

Jul 4, 2012
    mostly likely, but it's the random massive pops and spits that occur with no notes going through the amp and no-one near the pots that bothers me the most, as it's intermittent and defintely not from too much of a signal going through the amp

7. Did you try my suggestion?

8. gussy

gussy

Jul 4, 2012
    I have- but again, as with all these types of faults, it's only on stage that it really happens, Murphy's law kind of thing. Thanks for the input, i have the two connected.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Clean your effects loop jacks with Deoxit. It's a very common problem with amps of all makes.

10. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Wow, subscribed.
    Very interesting thread. I have a Super Redhead.

11. gussy

gussy

Jul 4, 2012
    I'm going to try that, thanks to all three of you. Because it ONLY seems to happen at a gig , Im not going to be totally sure if it works until I get through a few gigs without incident. Great to know that about effect loops- because i dont use it , I'd factored it out but I see after your comments and doing some research that it's a common problem and doesnt matter about usage. If it works, you sure have saved me a packet.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well if that doesn't work, it could be the tube. But judging from your preliminary findings, I'd say you fixed it.

13. The effects return jack has internal contacts, they pass the signal from the preamp to poweramp. When unused they corrode because there is so little voltage or amperage present. Pops, clicks, distortion, poor frequency response, scratchy sound, hiss, squeals, no sound are some of the possible symptoms. ;)