1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR RedHead Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrandonA119, Feb 23, 2016.

1. I'm looking for an amp to replace my beloved REDHEAD. It's too heavy to haul around. Any recommendations that would be comparable in power?

Thanks

blindrabbit likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Audition a Fender Rumble 500: Light; LOUD!, and Affordable.

A much more expensive lightweight option would be the new award winning Genzler 800 and cabinet(s) of your choice.

3. Zach Soczka

Zach Soczka

Jan 25, 2016
    the markbass 2x10 combos are insanely light and I think if you played one at guitar center you might find it really comparable to the redhead I think its a tube mark head in it..

4. I've been doing some reading on the Rumble 500. Any thoughts?

5. It's been about 4 years since I replaced my beloved Redhead. My choice at the time was a micro head (it was a GB Shuttle 6.0), and separate lightweight cabinets (first a 2x10, then 2 1x12s). I later changed the head to an Aguilar TH350. All the permutations I had were excellent rigs, sounded better and louder than my Redhead, and weighed in total about half of what it did.

So, my vote is lightweight head + lightweight cabinet(s). What brands and models you go with really depends upon your budget and what you want to accomplish tonally. Do you want to keep sounding like the Redhead did?

6. Again, depends on your budget... I would really miss the AE (with a boost around 200hz): if you want more of the same tone, there's a SWR Headlite for $400 somewhere on TB, and there's a slew of good lightweight cabs out there.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Is there a budget? ;)

What about a bergantino CN210 and an Aguilar TH500?

Lots of small light loud stuff around now, although you may miss some aspects of the SWRs tone, which is still unique.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I had a Super Redhead for a few years, wow one heavy amp! Especially, as I lived in a second floor apartment with no elevator at the time.

I always found the various SWR amps I owned to be tonally tilted towards the bright end with present but no full/deep bottom end to it. Amps and cabs have evolved tremendously since those days; I use a Tone Hammer 500 and a few different LDS cabs that from what I recall of the SRH totally blow it away in every respect IMO+E.

There are a lot of choices in great gear now to consider as a replacement for your Redhead. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  9. I'm not a gear head at all, the redhead sounded fine to me...could have used some more bottom..
    Tonally I just want the tone of my bass and nothing else. I've always had a hard time hearing the differences
    In different Amps. I know that seems ridiculous..

10. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I vote a GK MB212 combo. Light and powerful enough for most gigs.

edit: probably should have included that I gigged with a redhead for a couple years prior to getting the GK. World of difference. All for the better IMO.

11. pjbassist

pjbassist Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have used a "deconstructed Redhead" as my go to for nearly 20 years. SWR Bass 350 and a Goliath 2X10. Would that be a consideration? I have a 4X10 also for bigger gigs and a Strawberry Blonde 1X10 for smaller gigs. I love Pre-Fender SWR, can you tell?

12. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    There's really no replacement for the Redhead's tone - it's a remarkable amp. But yeah, they're too heavy.

Markbass CMD102. 44 pounds. Not the SWR sound but one of it's own. Don't be afraid to use the scoop (VLF) knob, it will get you where you want to go (I just moved from the head/cab version of your rig, the ST-220 and a Goliath cab). The Markbass has some different qualities than the SWR but they sure sound nice and fill a room. And like I said: 44 pounds. One-hander amp.

13. Here's the link and specs on that SWR Headlite... I got the little SWR Spellbinder Blue (combo, pretty similar, tube pre, Class D pwr amp) and it sounds absolutely like my Super Redhead. It took me some time to get used to it!

For Sale - SWR Headlite 400W Pocket Amplifier

In the 400W headlite Bass Amp Head a legendary SWR tube preamplifier meets Class D power amp technology! The SWR headlite, weighing just under 4 lbs, delivers the tonal clarity SWR amps are famous for, as well as an astonishingly thunderous low-end response for such a diminutive package. But don't let the SWR headlite amp's size fool you, this is a full-featured, professional-quality bass amplifier!

Ideal as a stand-alone amp in a head/speaker rig or partnered with SWR's amplite—a matching 400W power amplifier—in a multiple power-amp rig, the headlite is an extremely versatile performance amplifier for stage or studio.

The SWR headlite amp head includes a handy accessory bag designed for a headlite, an amplite and all the necessary cables, or it can be rack-mounted in 1/2-rackspace with the optional rackmount kit. The optional SWR headlite 2-button footswitch lets you mute and turn the effects loop on or off as well as containing an integrated bass tuner.

Incredible power and a signature SWR tube preamp in a diminutive package.

FEATURES
    • SWR tube preamp with 3-band semi-parametric EQ
    • 400 watts Class D power
    • -10dB input pad switch
    • Mute switch with LED indicator
    • Aural Enhancer™ with Defeat switch
    • True balanced line out (XLR & 1/4") with ground lift, pre/post switch and level control
    • Speakon jack

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a pre fender super redhead with low milage pas speakers. It's the best sounding amp I have ,
    I play an eden 1 10.
    It's the lightest amp i have