SWR Redhead vs. Super Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by murpbrad, Jan 7, 2005.

1. murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    A friend just told me that a guy he knows is selling his SWR for $400. It is either a Redhead or a Super Redhead, so either way I'm getting a great deal. I haven't seen it yet, but I know it's in great shape because my friend told me. Besides the power, are there any major differences in the two? If it is the older Redhead, should I just wait and get a different amp since there is an upgraded version?
  2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I've owned them both. Both are good choices. Don't recall any differences other than the power, but it's been a while.

Also, I don't remember the details, but it seems like some people preferred the original.
  3. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The Redhead is 240 watts, 280 w/extension cab. The Super is 350 watts, and I don't know how much w/extension cab, but likely 400. I had a Redhead, and it was cool for most stuff, especially recording, and the build quality of the head was amazing. I've tried Supers, but they didn't sound as warm as my Redhead, but then again, my Redhead was broken in and the Supers weren't. If you plan to replace an SVT rig in a love rock setting, the Redhead won't cut it. For just about anything else, the Redhead is great.
  4. Sounds like it may be the same amp section that is in my Silverado Special. 350 watts with one cabinet and 450 with the extention cabinet.
  5. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I think that basic circuit must be what's in all the 350W Pro stuff. My 2004 Black Beauty's PCB is still marked "SILVERADO." They move the switches and what not around on the chassis with different models, but it appears to be essentially the same amp in different packaging. If I'm missing anything here, I trust some SWR maven will correct me.
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have one of the original Silverado's (4x8) and it has the same specs as the original Redhead I think as far as power goes. I would buy either Redhead for $400. I just sold a brand new Eden Metro that was to replace the Silverado....but I still have the Silverado :)

Mine looks like this

Sorry for hijacking your thread....I just got excited to talk about SWR combos.
  7. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i heard the super doesnt sound as good as the original one,

i only tried the original and it rocks, sounded great and had lots of balls, the 240 watts sounded pretty powerfull
  8. I agree, I'd buy for $400 dollars a decently used Redhead combo. I play one in jazz ensemble. It's easy to get a super warm tube. On the higher frets/high strings, I thought I was playing a fretless or something the first time I played it!