Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swr Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harpo61, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I picked up a SWR Redhead over the weekend I wanted to know how it compared to the Super Redhead Beside wattage

2. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    Anybody ? Hello has anybody had a original red head

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They sound great. Not super loud, but a really good sound. Its about a 250 watt head IIRC into the equivalent of a goliath Jr. The "supers" are the same thing, but are simply newer, with more power into the equivalent of a Goliath Jr III. Different speakers, different porting, and I must assume a slightly different tone, though I've never played one of the supers.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there is not a night and day diff, but i'd rather have an old one just as swr engineering products were better (IMHO). The advantage of the unit is that it can go to 2 ohms, so you can use a 4 ohm extension cab (or one or two 8 ohm cabs).

It is not super loud as has been said, but it has a ton of useful features. I'm not a combo fan, but the redhead is a good one.

5. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I don't play in real loud band I will be trying it out in rehersal Friday night I will have full report

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I used to have a Super Redhead and I sorely miss it.

FYI I did need to run it with an extention cab most of the time when gigging. But that was also before I knew better about how to make the best use of it.

Wish I still had the danged thing.

:D

Joe.

7. I had a Super a few years ago. I ran it with a 18 sub. I probably world have been happier with a 15. It had really good tone, totally SWR, but I always felt like I was pushing it to the brink to be heard. If it had about 600W I'd still have it. On the other hand I just bought a Baby Blue 2 and I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna gig with it.....go figure...

8. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    It sould not be a problem the guitar players I play with are using small amps and we are just a little bar band . And if I need more volume we have a decent PA

9. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    Played it last night with my drummer he loves the sound I am still on the fence about it . Our rehersal place is upstairs of a metal barn and acoustics suck to say the least . I fiddled around the eq a little and played with the PA and on it own .
    I think when I push up the bass level it runs out of headroom
    fast .I hooked one of the 18 cabs from our PA and it sounded pretty good I guess . I will play around with it for a little or it up for sale .

10. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I am thinking about picking up cab to go along with redhead
    mayby a Avitiar 1X15

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    A word of advice,

find out what the Redhead's speaker sensitivity rating is and get a 15 that is either close to or higher than it.

Also, if the Redhead can go down to 2 ohms (my Super could) seriously consider getting a 4ohm 15.

Joe.

12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Harpo, for what it's worth. I was looking for a compact combo amp. I have played through Redheads in the past and was impressed. Redhead was my first thought when it came time to buy. I wanted a choice so I bought an Eden Metro and a SWR Redhead at the same time and put them next to each other. The audition was over in several minutes. The Eden Metro has such incredible fidelity, power and lowend, it's hard to believe that this sound is coming from 2 x10" Speakers.

I sent the Redhead back to Zzounds and have now had the Metro for a couple of years. This box rocks. Can handle any small to medium gig, add a cabinet and you have a big sound stage rig. Not for a big rock band but for most else...terrific!

13. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I am sure i can run down to 2 ohm with Redhead it what would be a good 15 beside the SWR that was not very pricey

14. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

The Avatar B115H NEODYMIUM cab looks pretty good and the website says that it is 4ohm. From 2k-4k the sensitivity is around 103-104db. Below that it's about 98-99db until it gets real low where it starts to drop off.

Plus it is only $301 shipped! A dang nice price for a 55lb Neo 115 cab.

Click here.

If you have any specific questions on the cab give them a call. Their customer service is reputedly excellent.

What is your budget?

Joe.

15. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I would Like to keep it under 400 . Avaitar would fit the bill or I am looking for a used Son Bertha

16. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Whatever you get keep this in mind.

An 8ohm cab will get 1/3 the power and your combo speakers will get 2/3 the power. Sensitivity is important here. Getting an 8 ohm cab with a speaker that has greater sensitivity than your internal speakers would help towards 'volume matching' the two components. Ideally this means that your 210's and 115 will be at the same volume.

A 4ohm cab will get half the power and your combo speakers will get half the power. Speaker sensitivity is less critical here but still important. With both components balanced out with power, a few dbs can stil be noticeable but for all practical purposes can be negligable also.

Unless you happen to pick a cab with a sesitivity that is WAY off from the combos. It can happen but not likely in 90% of your better gear manufacturers.

That being said, if I found a Son of Bertha at the right price and it was an 8ohm cab, I would still grab it!

Too much info?

Joe.

17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Try eq. flat. Turn the whole rig on it's side. Crank the gain til the pre light lights turn back a hair then crank your master for volume. Turn off the limiter and give yourself aural enhancer about 9:30-10:00. Perhaps you might find a goliath II to try.

18. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    Too Much info no . I think I will need to gig a little with this amp and If I get in trouble I can go though out PA (I should be doing this anyway cosidering we have 1200 watts our rehersal space has terrible acoustics and I was just playing with drummer and I had the bass cranked up I need to keep the bass flatter

19. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Also consider how much you want to hear the bass as opposed to feel the bass. Being able to feel the bass really fleshes out a performance IMHO but it more importantly (unless you are in a reggae band) needs to be heard.

With all of your EQ flat, Aural Enhancer all the way off and Turbo in, listen to your tone in the mid to upper regions. Fiddle with the Treble Shelving points (push/pull the treble switch) and see what sounds good to you at a moderately loud volume.

Leave it where you like it and move to the Mid EQ section. It is semi-parametric. Start fiddling again. Find the most favorable mid tone to accomappy the treble tone you have decided on.

Remember
    - Mids are how you are heard! Use them!

I used to be very mid-shy. I had that terminal 'Smiley Face' eq disease. I know better now. NOW I know that I could have easily used my Super Redhead for most of my gigs. I just needed to learn a bit more about gear in general and more specifically eq and how to use it.

When you are done dialing in your mid tone (it should sound just a little too loud to your ears) leave it be and go to the bass section. Adjust to taste.

A word on the aural enhancer.

The Aural enhancer is like a 'Smiley Face EQ' knob. It's actually more involved than that but basically that's what you get. Once you get a good sounding, loud tone the Aural Enhancer can make it even better when used judiciously. Adjust this to taste.

A thing to keep in mind.

Bass frequencies require significantly more power than mid and upper frequencies to reproduce. If you find yourself in a situation where you can't turn up any more without 'distortion' or 'farting', turn down your Aural enhancer. You will be able to turn up and sound louder but at the cost of some rumble and sizzle. This is preferable to not being heard! OR not being able to hear yourself!!!

Dang, i'm full of opinions today.

Joe.

20. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    Lowtone you are the man thanks buddy