SWR Rig... Advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rojo412, Sep 25, 2000.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The amp I have now seems to be the weak link in my musical collection. So I'm gonna sell it get a real rig.

Here's what I'm thinking:

SWR SM-500 head
    SWR Triad cab

Does anyone have this rig (or either piece)? If so, how has it treated you? Can the Triad be run in stereo? Is it loud and clear? Do I need to get a stereo amp?

I have a Warwick and a Music Man and slap a lot, so I figured that the Triad has the horn and 15" for clarity and any growling I need can be added with the 10". I figured also that getting a stereo head as opposed to the mono Bass 350 would leave me with more options when I need to upgrade and add another cab.

2. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    I'm using a Warwick (corvette 5)with SWR Bass 350 and
    Goliath III cabs. I tried the Triad. Seems to be the
    best of all worlds with the 10's, 15 and horn. For my own taste however, I've moved away from the larger driver and am using the 4X10 cabs exclusively. Give the 350 a try. Alot of headroom and it's all I've needed from small clubs to large festivals.
  3. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    To echo Bobb...try the Bass 350.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Triad is not loud enough IMO! I like its sound, but I would be lost without monitors. We're not a particularly loud band, but the cab is clearly too limited in terms of stage volume. 96dB is nothing compared to a 106dB Goliath or David.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never owned a Triad, but I've heard them and played them many times, and I really like the sound. If I was in the market for a well-rounded cab with moderate volume, it's what I'd get. I can't believe it's not loud enough for stage use. If you can't hear it standing in front of it, your hearing is in danger anyway.

It has a real punchy tone with crisp highs. Very jazzy.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    One important concern of mine is headroom. The Ampeg B2 combo I have now only operates clearly at lower volumes and any time I try to crank it, it gets distorted and crappy. This is one reason I'm upgrading. The other is tone, of course and like I said, I want something versatile.

I was looking on the website and saw that the SM-500 is quite a bit more costly than the Bass 350. In fact, I could get a Bass 750 for less than the SM-500. So would it be feasable to get a Bass 750 + Triad, 750 + Goliath, or just save some dough by getting the 350?
  7. I think the main consideration between the Bass 350/750 and the SM-500 is the amount of control you want over your sound. A lot of people prefer the EQ section of the Bass 350. Take Marcus Miller, for example. Last I read, he was using a Bass 350 as a preamp and an SM-400S as a power amp. So you might want to hear them at the same time and then decide.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The Bass 750 has the exact same preamp as the Super Redhead combo. It just has more power in the power amp section. The 350 lacks some of the features the 750 has, but whether or not you want those features is up to you.
  9. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I got the new SWR Bass 350, which puts out 450 watts at 4 ohms. It drives a new Goliath III 4 X10 cabinet. I honestly have more power than I know what to do with. Also I can get more variety of sounds out of it than I could ever use.

I think I could blow the cones right out of the speakers. If I had a bigger amp I would just have to turn it down even lower than the 350.

Unless you are doing large concert halls with 10,000 screaming fans, the Bass 350 is more than adequate.
  10. geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    nanook -

These are the specs for the Bass 350 taken from SWR's official site...

Have you seen it listed differently elsewhere? (If you have, let me know. I own this amp and would be very happy to hear about the extra 100 watts.) :D