Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR rig question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TfOaOnL, Jul 24, 2001.

1. TfOaOnL

TfOaOnL

Jul 24, 2001
    ok heres the story. right now i have a SWR workingman's 15 combo amp, along with a SWR workingman's 4x10 cabinet for the extension. my problem is the 4x10 doesnt get enough sound. so im thinkin i should get rid of my 15 combo, and possibly get a workingman's 4004 head and stick it on the 4x10. im open to suggestions for other heads to look at, but will that give me enough power and "oomph" to the 4x10, which can handle 260 @ 8 ohms/400 @ 4 ohms?? like i said, im open to any other suggestions so anything would help.

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The 4004 should give you plenty of power. The most important thing to do is just go with what YOU like.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Before you do anything, try disconnecting the speaker in the 15 and driving JUST the 410. When driving both loads, the 410 only gets half the wattage (the 15 gets the other half). See how this sounds to you. The 4004 will only give you another 3 dB or so of level, which is noticeable but not a lot.

4. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    SWR recommends certain cabinets to match up with their amps. I would check out their website and go with their suggestions.

www.swrsound.com

Personally, I'd go with an SM-500, if you can afford one, and maybe add a 1x15 cab to the 4x10. You probably aren't getting enough air movement to satisfy your tastes with just the 4x10.

Another option is to pair the Workingman's 15 with another 15 or a 2x10, which is what I think SWR recommends.

5. I've got a 2004 and a 4x10T and they work hella-perfectly!