Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stachio, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I was wondering if this is a feasible setup :

SM 500 (or SM 400)
    Goliath III Jr.
    Big Ben (1x18)

2. I think the son of bertha would be a little better (single 15) choice. But I really dont know. Does anyone have the Big Ben? Is the 18 pretty clear and clean sounding?

B

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You'd be better off with more power if you plan to run them both all the time. Mono-bridged into 4 ohms (assuming both cabs are 8 ohms) wouldn't be too bad, if a bit under-powered with those cabs. They don't make the 400 anymore, BTW, but they're available used quite often. A Bass 750, OTOH, would be just about perfect with those two cabs albeit with a few less EQ options. I personally prefer the simplicity and sound of the Bass 350 and 750 over the SM's.

Lastly, it depends on what you mean by "feasible." Feasible for your sound, your music, the rooms you play, etc. Lotta unknowns there.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Big Ben is clean and fast. In fact, it's the fastest 18 I've ever owned. The thing sounds great by itself and just kicks major booty when you pair it up with 10's on top. I also own an EV/Mesa Boogie and an EV/Custom Pro Sound and the Big Ben is the best of the three. Bag End driver, BTW.

5. well then your the man I want an answer from

heres the deal........large youth center auditorium at church (around 1500 seating cap.) LOUD stage volume due to 2 half stacks, and full drum kit plus stage mons. Punk/hard rock music, Occasional traveling (I have a truck, and also used to tour with a large drum kit on a rack so lugging around speaker cabs is a breeze!) large and small venues (clubs, churches, performing art centers, ect)

basically I'm thinking of going with the Megogoliath, or a biamped system containing a Goliath III with the Big Ben, or Son of Bertha. I seriously need some answers

BTW I have a SWR Bass 750 head

thanx

B

6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks boogiebass.

By feasible I was talking about matching the power. I was suspecting that the Big Ben would just hog all the power and that I would end up with some clipping.
    I heard of a bassist that used that setup (SM 400 Goliath Jr. and Big Ben) and I wasn't sure if you could really do that.
    I want something that'll give me some nice round lows (as I understand that the Goliath Jr. doesn't like the low B) and that I could potentially use with an upright if I ever wanted to.
    I've heard a lot of good things about Big Ben but I was wondering what to couple it with (Goliath or Goliath Jr. ?) to add a bit of highs.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd go with the Big Ben and Goliath III for versatility. With the 750, you'll be in heaven.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think a Big Ben and Goliath Jr. is a perfect match but, as I said, the 400 is really not enough amp, IMO. If you're stuck with the 400, you may want to look at a single Triad I, which is 4 ohms and has a 15, 10 and horn.