SWR S.O.B. as a standalone...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slater, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Has anyone ever used an SWR S.O.B. (1x15 w/tweeter) as a standalone cab? I would be powering it up with a Peavey T-Max amp. I have listened to the S.O.B. in a music store, and it sounded pretty darn good, but I haven't tried it with my amp, with my bass, with my band (which I know will be the only true test). Right now, I'm just fishing for some opinions, from some fellow TalkBassers, of the SWR S.O.B. Thanks.
  2. That should be pretty darn good as a stand alone unit. I know someone who uses a Big Bertha(2x15) as a stand alon unit and it sounds great. Keep in mind that you may not get great high and high-mid response with a large speaker, but who needs that G string[​IMG] anyway. It's a bass isn't it.
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've had really good results running my SOB as a standalone with a Mesa Boogie Bass 400 tube head-I get a great rock tone with my StingRay 4. The sound is rich and full with a lot of punch and high end detail, even with the tweeter set low. It fills the room without sounding flabby or boomy and it handles the low B of my Peavey Cirrus 5 with ease. Better yet I can carry it with one hand and fit it into the backseat of my 2-door Tercel. When I pair it with an SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10 the sound gets even more marvelous. With this setup I played a gig at a 500-capacity club last summer with my amp on 3, and the soundman took me out of the PA because the sound projected so well. The SOB is very efficient and would be a great component for a modular rig. I definitely preferred it to the Eden, BagEnd, Ampeg, Genz Benz, Trace Elliot, Carvin, and Peavey 1x15's I've tried.
  4. I like 1X15" standalone too.

I'm thinking about a 400w Mesa-Boogie, anyone got experience on this?