SWR Send Return

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by david_l_perry, Feb 11, 2004.

1. I have never had any luck setting up my SWR SM900 or my SWR Grand Prix with my effects in the send return.

The problem I have is that when I plug my effects unit in through the back end (currently a TC G-Major) the natural sound of the bass is changed even when the effects unit is bypassed (it sounds as though it has been EQ'd).

When I run the effects through the front end of the amp (ie the input), any effects unit I have used has no change on the sound of the Bass this way (this is how I have been running my effects for several years now).

I tried experimenting last night again with the send/return. If I place a patch lead between the send/return the sound is completely unaffected (as I would have expected)
    When the effects unit is put in the send & return (with a clean bypassed signal) the nasty EQ'd sound returns.

When effects units is bypassed surely it should be the same as the patch lead?

Can anybody shine any light on this :)

Cheers, Dave
  2. oddity_uk

Feb 3, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    if only. most pedals don't have a hardwired bypass (true bypass), but instead buffer the signal when the effect is supposed to be off... and to many people's ears, these types of bypass sound pretty poor, probably (but not necessarily) what you're noticing. You could get a true bypass loop box (www.loooper.com, amongst others, make them) which would let you properly bypass your pedals when not in use and only bring them into your signal path when you need them... of course, there may be a completely different reason you have this problem, so i'd get a few other opinions first :)

3. But...when I run the effects in line with my bass the effects unit (when off) has no change in the tone at all...Its only when I use the send return...
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thats really odd dude.....
    i've had an electric blue head for years and never ran into that problem
    but now that you have got me interested i'll do some experimenting
    perhaps the side chain circut could be placing some kind of load on it
    fyi - the effects send on swr amps is Post eq and is pretty hot, so that higher gain signal may be screwing with your effects, esp if they're stomp boxes