SWR setup (good/bad)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SasquatchK, Jan 5, 2002.

1. SasquatchK

Dec 30, 2001
    Ok guys I need some advice. I'm not majorly serious yet(no gigs or anything) but we always play really loud. I'm looking for an amp with a good clean sound and loud!

I got a few suggestion to look at the swr workingman series. Good price good sound.

Well from what I've seen I'm not too sure on what to get. Just a note I'm by far no expert on amps so anything that you would correct me with would help.

The workingman 4004 is definatly the amplifier I want.
    Now the cabs I need help on deciding.
    I've looked at a few options.
    4x10 400w

Someone said they used the 4004 head with the 4x10 and the 1x15 together 200w
    They said it sounds great.

So I was wondering a setup like this 600w is what the cabs consume put together and the amp is 400w. What happens here?
    Will it be louder but distort at a lower level but still be louder without distortion?
    Will it blow my amp?
    Will it be all distorty all the time?
    Will the distortion happen earlier(quieter then before? or louder?

Now my other two option would be using
    2 1x15 200w each
    1x15 + 2x10 200w each

4004 head http://www.swrsound.com/pages/products/wmseries/wm4004.html
    4x10 cab http://www.swrsound.com/pages/products/wmseries/wm410t.html
    2x10 cab http://www.swrsound.com/pages/products/wmseries/wm210t.html
    1x15 cab http://www.swrsound.com/pages/products/wmseries/wm115t.html
  2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
  3. I've got the 4004 too.. and i'm thinking of getting the 2x10 and 1x15 to match with it.

Depending on the type of music you play you can choose the speaker-config..

if you want a lot of bottom, go for the 2x15

if you want bottom and good mids, go for a 2x10 + 1x15

Another option is the Ampeg SVT-410HE ( 200w/8ohm) and SVT-15E (200w/8ohm), but they're about twice the price of the SWR's.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'll be fine. The speaker rating is just what they can handle. Just don't crank it up to 11, and your amp'll work great with your proposed rig.
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    clean and loud? try carvin... its cheap... its worth a shot... especially if you're just getting started, i bet most people just starting out can't tell the difference in sound... i know i couldn't until after i'd been playing for a while.
  6. SasquatchK

Dec 30, 2001
    Well after these comments I think I will go for the 2x10 and 1x15. I like a nice range of sound not just bottom end.

And just to say I do notice differences in the sound. One of the reasons I ended up choosing swr. ;-)
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Good choice. Never back off from what you believe ... unless what you believe is wrong.
  8. Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    DONT DO IT!!
    think of the children!

Did you actually try the Carvin??
    ... or are you a scardey pants?

Personally, If they'd just stop putting the name on the gear, I'd probably use it. The "bang for your buck" is undeniable. And it sounds pretty damn good too! and features all day long. Why don't they start putting "Eden" or "SWR" on their gear? It would be soo much cooler that way. Dontcha think?

Maybe I should start making hinged face plates that look just like an SWR750, that would hang down and hide the real amp behind it. As long as you were standing in front of it... who would know? Just lift up the cover and make your adjustments and no one is the wiser.

Truth is, I actually like the sound of the Carvin better than the workingman's series. Pro Series is another matter, but the workingman's always sounded mushy somehow.

Disregard all the above with regard to speakers however.