SWR "Silverado" 4x8 amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedullamvp5, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Still needing any info on this model amp. I'm looking at this amp to purchase, just don't know much about it. Please send info! Thanks , Randy
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I remember playing one a few years back & I couldn't believe the low end response coming from 4x8's.

4. i had an ampeg B2-48 combo,

one of the BEST sounding, and best freq response out of a cab i've ever hear, IMHO of course :D

I own a henry the 8x8 now and all i get is :cool: :) :D
  5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I used to own this original version of the Silverado(now it's a 2x12). Nice amp, great low end response.

However, I had to sell it when I began playing in a progressive metal band with a very loud drummer as the 8s couldn't take the volume(switched to a 4x10).

If the group you're playing with isn't too loud this would be a great combo to buy. Good luck!
  6. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have a older 4x8 model. I think it's one of the best sounding combos I've ever played. Great low end with a nice top end. The 8" speakers have a very quick response time, so you get a quick response, especially when playing aggressively. I love this amp. The older ones are fairly uncommon, but re-sell in the $550-$650 price range.
  7. gary ashall

gary ashall

Jul 27, 2010
    saw a swr silverado for sale in local ads,went to check it out and after a bit of negotiating i bought it, its the 4x8 model and i couldnt believe how well they handle the lovely lows that this amp produces. ive had both trace elliot and ashdown over the years and have to say that this is the amp for me. anyone know where i could lay my hands on the matching 4x8 extension cab ?....man i love being a bass player
  8. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    That first Silverado was a great amp. I don't know why I didn't purchase one that was hanging around a local shop about 8 years ago, still new and very heavily discounted. Sure don't see too many in the world.
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    It's a nice enough amp, and fairly typical of the SWR sound: clean and sparkly.
    It's not a loud amp, at all; though it sounds great at the volumes the 8's will hold together at.
  10. I used the 212 Silverado for several years and the main reason for the change is that the 212 model is able to be played at earsplitting volume. The 4x8 gets better tone at lower volumes. The SWR Redhead and the 4x8 Silverado have a very similiar sound in my opinion.