Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM-400 just got one ! Pls help with settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gibo, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Gibo

Gibo

Mar 15, 2003
    As mentioned I just got a SM-400 ...if anyone has used one of these b4 and can help with setting up
    pre amp levels and eq set up would be appreciated.This baby has an eq with sellectable frequency for each slider. I have a speaker box with four 10" speakers and a horn. I'm currently not using the horn as I get flutter out of it. Any suggestions with the horn would also be appreciated.

cheers
    gibo

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Some settings :
    SM500 settings

Transparency adds brightness, Aural Enhancer is just a good button :)
    To adjust gain, set the volume to 0 and hit your loudest note, set the gain knob to where the clip light just comes on, then turn it back a little. You're good to go.
    The SM-400 is a great amp.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    seriously a modern classic. set flat. aural exciter at 11 o clock. add bass boost to taste. bassy goodness:bassist:

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Stachio's suggestions are dead on! I currently own my 3rd SM400 (1 SM400 & 2 SM400S). Hopefully I've learned my lesson. Great amp & Classic sound!They're so versatile. You can bi-amp, bridge, or just run it stereo. For what it's worth, I think it shines in the bridged mode through a good 4-10 w/horn cab.

:)

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yeah, 11 o'clock's roughly what I like though I'm more of a 10 o'clock person. What I can't understand is why SWR seems to always recommend you turn the Aural Enhance to 2 o'clock, I mean, hey, give me my mids back. 2 o'clock's great for slapping though.

Alex

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Exactly,you have be careful with that Aural Enhancer.If your playing at really high volumes I would just barely open it up unless you don't like any midrange.

7. Gibo

Gibo

Mar 15, 2003
    Thks for the feedback on settings, I'll let ya know how I go.

Gibo