Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM-400 S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicoli, Nov 23, 2002.

1. So I've just come across an available SWR SM-400s head for a great price at a local store and am going to have to go see how it handles itself in the next day or two.

Anyone have any reason why I should or shouldn't get this amp? I have been using a Fender BXR 200 and it just isn't enough power anymore, I think it's dying on me. My cab is a Sunn 4x10.

I play prog/alt/classic/rock/metal/blues/funk.

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I really hate to say it, Nicoli, I beat you to it...:(

I was in the same boat amp-wise (but with a Yorkville BM200) so I saw this SM400s at Songbird and scooped it up yesterday afternoon - managed to talk them down a few dineros, too....

After 24 hours of playing around with the new amp, I highly recommend you take up HarderMan on his offer....factor in shipping and you've got your $750, as long as it's in good condition. Compare the newer SM500 (almost identical amp, a bit more power) at $1500 brand new.

DD

3. I have been playing through an SWR head for the last 5 yrs (or so) and never had to do anything to it.

It sounds great and is reliable. I'd buy the SM 400 if I were you.

4. Ah crap, I was just about to head down there too...

:(

Well, at least it went to a fellow TBer I can take solace in that. Gotta love the used dealers in this city, you can always talk them down no matter what.

What cab setup are you using with it?

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yeah, the used dealers are much better to deal with than L&M or Steve's (although I find Steve's a bit better than L&M). Hans at Used Sound has done some good stuff for me in the past as well (both in selling and buying)... Buying the SM400 was serendipity - I was almost ready to blow the wad on a new SWR or Ampeg - and then I just happened to drop in and see that amp at SB. It helped that I know Jim B. and he hooked me up with the deal...

I've got an old knock-off 200W 1x15 right now, but I can see that I'll be looking for something more powerful - I'm definitely going the 1x15 + 2x10 route...most likely SWR SoB/Gol Jr. III. Although that Eden 410T at Songbird looks like a good deal, too, at $699.

DD

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Keep an eye out...I've been using an SM-400S on-and-off for the past couple of years. Very versatile, nice tone, really a pro piece of gear. Tonight I'll be running it bridged through a Goliath II 4x10. Nice smooth sound with lots of body.

I've used it through 15 + 210 cabs outdoors and it did nicely, too.

Dan

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I currently own my 3rd SM-400S (actually the first was a SM-400). They are great amps and I seem to keep coming back to it. I had one small problem with the 2nd one I owned (bad solder joint) but SWR fixed it quickly and no other problems. Great amps!:)

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I have a 400S for sale .Private message me if your interested.I'd be willing to ship it to you.

9. Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm going to wait and see what Santa brings me, if anything, before making a big spending decision. The parents seem much happier to buy me gear now that I'm not living with them.