Swr Sm 400??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan L., Jun 1, 2001.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Just wondering if anyone has one or has experience with one?
    How do they sound? Are they fairly reliable? Any thing else to know about them??

I have seen these going on ebay for around $400, and have been thinking about trying to snag one, if they are worth it.

2. definitly a great amp , very versatile, great tone, fairly lightweigtht, i sold mine and regret it. would get another,. ......try a 400s, i think it has a fan, these like to run at 4 ohms and they get hot! buy one!
  3. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I have an SM400s(+2 Goliath3).
    It's a good amp,you know it is very SWR sounding,so or you love it,or you hate it.
    I consider it an "honest" amp:I mean,it works;
    it is easy to get a good sound from it.It's not so versatile as an Eden,but after all I have the sounds I need.
    The 400s model front pannel,is different from the 400 for the Tranparency control,that the 400 misses.It enhances or cut the 5khz frequency.I find it very usefull.
  4. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Great choice. They are very reliable. Mine are nine years old and one broke once and it was a quick 1 hr. repair. With a good bass I rarely use the tone controls. They do get hot and they are supposed to feel hot. The owners manual says the aluminum chassis wicks heat away from internal components and will feel quite warm to the touch at the end of a gig. That's a good thing. That tube gives a really phat tone but use the controls like SWR tells you. Crank the pre-amp to flash of LED then back off a little then crank the Master volume all you want. Obey Ohms law and make sure you match it to your cab(s). It puts about 175w into 8 ohms a side, 220w @ 4 ohms a side and 400 @ 8 or 4 bridged mono.
  5. I had one, and had no complaints about reliability, but I was always struggling to get a sound I liked. I'd spend half the gig twiddling knobs. In the end I sold it and bought a GK 800RB, and I get the sound I hear instantly, with all controls set flat. On the GK, I never have to touch any knobs, I just push in the mid-cut button for bass guitar, or leave it out for my EUB. My band members much prefer the GK.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm probably gonna try to grab one (the 400s, preferrably) next time I see one on Ebay.

I thought about the GK800RB, as a matter of fact, but my only concern with that is that is might not have enough power for an 8x10 cab. Or am I way off base there?? It only puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms, correct?? I believe I read that the SWR puts out either 450 or 500 watts at 4 ohms bridged, on the 400s model. That would be a little closer to where I would like to be power wise. And I do like the SWR sound, so I have kinda been looking for one of em ever since I sold my Firebass head :(.
    SHouldn't have gotten rid of that, but I guess it does give me the excuse to buy something different. The Art Nightbass does not work for me as a stand alone preamp. All the effects are neat, cool, and great, but I just can't get any sort of decent tone dialed up on the preamp end of it. Oh well.

Thanks again