1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR SM-500 users I need your help ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Hello people, I am running an SM-500 through a Hartke HyDrive 410 cab(8 ohm) and running it bridged mono. The problem is the head keep getting rediculously hot and the fan is constantly running. I have the head in a nice Alligator gig bag, maybe its blocking something? Maybe I've got it hooked up wrong? Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

2. LowAndFunky

LowAndFunky

Dec 22, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I would try taking the bass head out of the gig bag so the air could circulate better. It shouldn't heat up as much. As far as the fan running constantly, years ago I had my SM-400 set up where the fan would run all the time and it wasn't an issue. Just kept the head from overheating. Just my two cents. Keep bassin'!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. first thing i'd check is how it runs out of the bag.

4. +2

I had a 750x in rack case that fit it too snugly. I would constantly trip it into protection until I figured out what I was doing.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You need to have a free rack space above that head when its in any kind of case. If its a two space bag, that's the problem. The best thing to do with an SM-400 or 500 is put it on the bottom of a 4 space skb rack and put nothing above it.

6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Thanks all, turns out the bag was the issue as some have mentioned here. I took it out and ran it for for a whole gig with no problem. So the Gator bag is out and now I gotta find something to replace it.:(

7. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Or not.

8. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Same thing happened with my SM-900. Faceplate was hot to the touch, but since the amp never went into thermal protection, I chalked it up to the fact that the faceplate was most likely the heat sink.

Then it went into thermal protection at a gig. Then I got rid of it. Yes, those amps run hot pretty much all of the time.