Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM 500 vs MesaBooge Mpulse vs Hughes and Kettner Quantum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Oct 26, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi!

Tell me please what do you think is the best amp for Funk and Soul and some R&B with a nice deep growl and enough punch. and yet, it should not be coloured too much

thanks

2. The MPulse is very colored and very tubey sounding, IMO.... has that very noticable tube-type 'give' to it and has huge low end that is sometimes hard to control..... again, IMO, much more of a 'rock' head than a funk head. The SWR line sounds good, but always seemed very underpowered to me. Not familiar with the other head you mentioned.

Depending on the sound you are going after, I would check out Thunderfunk550, Eden550 and EBSHD350 also.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You can get punch and growl from the M-Pulse quite easily with a hot bass and good cabs, but as KJung said it is more of a rock head and seems happiest pushing huge doses of lows and low mids. It has tons of mid presence, but its not the smooth glassy midrange that one tends to associate with funk. Its much more a gritty, gravely midrange, probably not the right thing for a funk band.