SWR SM-500 with Aguilar GS-112s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    For all you "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" people I did and read through about 4 big threads on the sm-500.

I still have some questions. I have a SWR Bass 350 and like the basic SWR sound, but I am hoping for more EQ flexibility. Anyone use the SM-500 with Aguilar GS-112s (two)?? Will the tone sound better than the 350 flat? How loud is the fan? is it variable speed (sensor controlled)?

From the SWR SM-500 manual:
    Minimum impedance in the Stereo mode is 2 ohms per side. This means that you can connect:
    • One 2 ohm speaker enclosure per side
    • Two 4 ohm speaker enclosures per side
    • Four 8 ohm speaker enclosures per side

Minimum impedance in the Bridge/Mono mode is 4 ohms. This means that you can connect:
    • One 4 ohm speaker to the Bridge/Mono output
    • Two 8 ohm speaker enclosures to the Bridge/Mono output
    • Four 16 ohm speaker enclosures to the Bridge/Mono output

2. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    You're thinking too hard about ohms.

For stereo mode, you consider ohms for each side of the amp separately. In bridged mode, you consider ohms for all connected cabinets. The manual will tell you what is safe to connect to each side in stereo mode and what total load is safe in bridged mode.

The SM-500 can handle 4-ohms in bridged mode and 2-ohms on each side in stereo mode. If you connect one GS112 to each side in stereo mode, each side will see 8 ohms and you will get 150 watts to each side. If you connect both GS112s in bridged mode, the amp will see a 4-ohm load and you will get 500 watts total, 250 to each cabinet.

I haven't actually played an SM-500, but I do have a SWR Grand Prix preamp into a QSC PLX-1602 poweramp that I'm very happy with. That would be ideal for a pair of GS112s as the PLX-1602 puts out 300 watts per side at 8 ohms.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have the SWR SM500 and two GS112 cabinets and it sounds really good. I run in bridged mode and I really like the versatility of the SM500 pre-amp EQ. I vary the EQ depending on the tube I use in it.

The cabinets sound much much better in bridge mode linked together to give a 4 ohm load and thus 250W to each cabinet.

I tried a Bass 750 at one point with my cabinets and felt limited on the EQ settings. I went back to the SM500 and even though it has less power, the EQ is much better and thus I can get better sound IMHO. The pre-amp tube in SWR also has a large inpact on the tone. I currently us the EH 12AX7, but Ei and some Sovtek models are also good.

The fan is noticable, but not overly loud. my amp is rack mounted and in my bands I cannot hear the fan
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

you ever had any problems with you sm-500? overheating, dirty sliders? how would you compare the general sound against the 750 or if you compared it to the 350 like I own.

thanks, I'm really thinking hard about getting an sm-500
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My SM500 has been a workhorse. I have run it for many hours with no overheating problems. It does get hot and the fan turns on, but I have not had any problems. I even have it rack mounted in a full rack (no space above it (but above it is a thin compressor so that might help)...it is on the bottom in the rack).

The sound seems a lot fuller to me than the Bass750 I tried. Probably due to the more complex EQ section and the different tubes I have tried in it. With the EQ it takes some tweaking to get a particular sound, but you do have the tweakablility. To me the 750 had only 1 real sound (it was OK, but I wanted more versatility as I play with 2 different sounding bands).

They both have that clean SWR sound (which is a plus and minus). I have considered getting something a little more "tubey" for my funk gig but I don't have the cash to get what I really would want for that tone (Aguilar DB750).

The SM500 (and SM400s/400) are workhorse amps taht have been around a while. It is all a matter of what you are looking for.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    yeah what he said.

my next setup will be a aggie pre and a 1000+ poweramp.
  7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I run a SM400s into two Aggie 112's. Plenty of power, plenty loud bridged. Completely reliable.
  8. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I agree the SM-400/500s are great amps I have owned two at a time for ten years. Great with GS-112s. They lack headroom compared with more powerful amps. I have always been an "amp tone controls flat and eq on the bass" user. Trhis allows your fingers to control your tone by your articulation on the strings. I only use a little eq it the room is bad. You also need a powerful bass. In this way the 750 is an incredible head! That is the the eq section of the redhead and is not inadequate. However I messed up my tone one gig by dialing what I thought I wanted instead of whats called for. IMHO
  9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I've been playing with an SM-500 for about 10 months now, and it really is a great amp. Good amount of power, GREAT sound (although I'm thinking of switching to another pre-amp tube - new band), and very reliable.

Yeah it gets really hot in certain situations, but I have mine mounted in a 2 space rack and have never had any problems with it overheating. Not even a 90 degree outdoor gig that was an hour and a half long... I was impressed.

Also, Mcrelly, I'm glad you posted this topic, because I'm seriously considering replacing my Goliath III with 2 GS112's. Not to hijack your thread or anything, but can someone real quick just tell me how the two compare? :bag: Thanks! :D
  10. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Mcrelly the 500 or 400 has a lot more balls then the 350 like twice. Hey I am a sock, I've A/Bed them and theres no comparison. Find the specs on the surface area of 2 12s and 4 10s. Also the 4x10 III just takes it all. I don't have to look at it all night. The GS112 is great I have one but it can't do in a loud situation of where big bass is required. Strange notice threads that say one actually sounds better. Ie Bass Player mag. Two do sound great and they are fatter sounding in a motown sense and fatten up fender basses. I have used powerful active Ken Smiths or Roscoes, they don't need it. My KYDD upright loves it. And 10s are slower then 12s that's your preference there. IMHO