Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM-900 fan noise... also DB-950

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgmadian, Dec 7, 2002.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a chance to play through an SWR SM-900 for the 1st time yesterday and like the sound and flexibility, esp. when going through a Goliath cab.

Q1: I was pleased that there was no noise coming from the fan in the amp (the room was nice & cool, and I didn't drive the amp very hard, so it never had a chance to heat up). For you SM-900 owners, how noisy is the fan when it kicks in? Noticeable in a quiet (e.g. church) setting, for example?

Q2: Can anybody compare it's fan-noise to that of a QSC PLX?

Q3: Any idea if the fan in the SM-900 could be *easily* swapped out with a lower-noise model, similar to swapping out the fans in a computer? Has anybody done this, by any chance... and if so, what was the result?

FYI, I also played an Aguilar DB-750 during the same session, and was struck by its noise... I literally found the DB-750 to be unusable at lower volumes, since it's fans were *very* loud and came on immediately after turning on the power. It's a good-sounding amp (and puts out a lot of volume), but it's fans are a real showstopper for me.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... DB-950 ... haven't heard of that one.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    For you SM-900 owners, how noisy is the fan when it kicks in?

Bgmadian,
    For what it's worth I've played an SM-400S in church for the last 7 years. I suspect that the fan in the SM-900 is compairable to the SM-400S. The noise is really not very noticable. In some ways it would probably be less noticable if it it didn't turn on and off with the thermistor. I notice it more after a rocking song when it eventually cuts off while the pastor's praying/speaking!:oops:

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    How noisy is the fan? Let's just say that I had to shut the amp off between every song! Very annoying fan noise that was clearly audible during spoken parts of the liturgy. Great sounding amp, but this WAS a primary reason I sold it. My new GK 700RB's fan noise is practically nonexistent.:cool:

5. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Just wanted to chime in here. I have owned all of the heads you are considering, and even with the fan situation you can't beat the Aguilar DB 750. If you can find either a used one, or a new one at the old price you will be very happy.