1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR SM-900 fan noise... also DB-950

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgmadian, Dec 7, 2002.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a chance to play through an SWR SM-900 for the 1st time yesterday and like the sound and flexibility, esp. when going through a Goliath cab.

Q1: I was pleased that there was no noise coming from the fan in the amp (the room was nice & cool, and I didn't drive the amp very hard, so it never had a chance to heat up). For you SM-900 owners, how noisy is the fan when it kicks in? Noticeable in a quiet (e.g. church) setting, for example?

Q2: Can anybody compare it's fan-noise to that of a QSC PLX?

Q3: Any idea if the fan in the SM-900 could be *easily* swapped out with a lower-noise model, similar to swapping out the fans in a computer? Has anybody done this, by any chance... and if so, what was the result?

FYI, I also played an Aguilar DB-750 during the same session, and was struck by its noise... I literally found the DB-750 to be unusable at lower volumes, since it's fans were *very* loud and came on immediately after turning on the power. It's a good-sounding amp (and puts out a lot of volume), but it's fans are a real showstopper for me.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... DB-950 ... haven't heard of that one.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    For you SM-900 owners, how noisy is the fan when it kicks in?

Bgmadian,
    For what it's worth I've played an SM-400S in church for the last 7 years. I suspect that the fan in the SM-900 is compairable to the SM-400S. The noise is really not very noticable. In some ways it would probably be less noticable if it it didn't turn on and off with the thermistor. I notice it more after a rocking song when it eventually cuts off while the pastor's praying/speaking!:oops:

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    How noisy is the fan? Let's just say that I had to shut the amp off between every song! Very annoying fan noise that was clearly audible during spoken parts of the liturgy. Great sounding amp, but this WAS a primary reason I sold it. My new GK 700RB's fan noise is practically nonexistent.:cool:

5. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Just wanted to chime in here. I have owned all of the heads you are considering, and even with the fan situation you can't beat the Aguilar DB 750. If you can find either a used one, or a new one at the old price you will be very happy.