Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM-900: new vs. old

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizzyD, Oct 16, 2002.

1. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I'm seriously considering an SM-900. I've seen what look like good deals on the older model, which according to SWR was in production from 1991-1999, at which point they made cosmetic changes, added Speakons and upped the wattage a bit. OH, and the list price too.

Does anyone have an opinion on these older models compared to the newer ones? Am I doing good to get an old one in decent shape for, say, around a thousand, or would I be better off waiting for a used newer model to come up and grab one of those?

Is there some reason to think "they don't make 'em like they used to" with SWR? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. In my limited bass experiance I think most people regard the old ones as sounding better than the new ones. I'd go for it. My the way I own an old SM400 and thought it sounded warmer (better) than the new sm900 which was bright and thin. But I might of been using a **** bass and cab in the store cos even a warwick combo sounded better.
    Good luck

3. Anything SWR Engineering is better then SWR Sound.

SWR Engineering - Run by a genius.
    SWR Sound - Run by a ?