Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM 900 or Bass 750???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dugonbass, Aug 11, 2004.

1. dugonbass

dugonbass

Aug 8, 2004
    Well, Bought a Mo' Bass head and sent it back.Technically speaking...SUCKED! Now I'm considering either the SM 900 or the Bass 750. Anybody have experience with these? Going to run it through an SWR Goliath III 4/10 cab and a Big Ben 18". Thanks

2. I REALLY don't like to disrespect any manufacturer...but for the $$$, I'm SURE you can do better. Got no problems w/ the cabs, but I really think the amps have a lot to be desired.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Bass Player gave a good review to the 750x in last month's issue (with geezer on the cover). i own a sm 500 and a bass 350 (precursor to the 350x) and they're both very nice. while not being the exact amps you asked about, i think the sm500 sounds "clearer" and more hi-fi than the 350. it just seems to be less mushy in the mids. the sm500 also is noticably louder, although it's only 150 watts difference. they're both good amps though, and if i hadn't have heard them back to back, i doubt i'd have noticed a difference. also, they're both pretty loud- i saw that was a problem with the mo' bass. hope this is of some help. oh yeah, i play mine through a goliath 3 and a sob- the sm500 and goliath 3 go together very well.

4. dugonbass

dugonbass

Aug 8, 2004
    What amps do you like?

5. Go with the SM900, you can get one used for a very reasonable price, and they are WAY more powerful than the 750X, in my opinion. I have gigged with both and found the 750X pretty generous with the 750 watt rating, I found even my beloved SM400S run bridged mono had more balls and better overall tone than the 750X. The SM900 will give you WAY more headroom, a much better EQ. I personally think you should go with a used SM900, I had mine for a long time and used it for hundreds of shows with ZERO problems, and totally regret selling it. Just my opinion, but you asked, right?

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I bought two of the Bass 750s when the 750xs came out. the 750 has the preamp section of the Redhead and I was afraid that with the addition of the effects that they might mess it up. The Bass 750 is very powerful. I use the preamp flat or a slight cut in treble. The difference between the 900 and the 750 in power is negilible in the real world. If you don't need 3 kinds of eq and want real power without bridging hello 750. Pure loud for all frequencies and the big boom of a large transformer giving you huge bass. I use one with one or two Goliath IIIs. Always loud enough with great tone. It will growl when needed but be all smooth and buttery or hifi when you need it all determined by your fingers. I always say with SWR I turn it on and never have to look back during a gig and think what's going on? Concentrate on the music isn't that what we want to really do or are we gear head hobbiests? "Look ma there goes a GHH!"