Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM-900 or Mo' Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Angus, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, ive pretty much settles on the Megoliath, and im not sure which of the heads to get. Both the SM-900 and Mo'Bass are rated at 900 watts @ 4 ohms, and the Mo'Bass has a buttload of tone options and effects, but its $400 cheaper (list) than the SM-900. Anyone know why? Is there an advantage to the SM-900 over the Mo'Bass? Thanks!

(For those of you who were mentioning the Eden heads, i couldnt get my hands on any. The place where im buying only has a VT-300.)

2. Man, you're gettin' a Megoliath! Lucky SOB. I'm considering selling my Eden 4x10 so I can get one too, I'm just not sure I want to haul an 8x10 cabinet around. The Eden is a killer cab too.
    As for the amp question, I own the SM-900 and it's great. Big, clean, clear sound. Lots of EQ'ing options. The Aural Enhancer and the limiter are great.
    I haven't played the Mo'Bass, but it has tons of effects built in, from what I've read. That's the main difference between it and the SM-900. You live near Bass Northwest, right? I'd go try 'em both through a Megoliath and decide. I'm not sure why the SM-900 lists for $400 more. Either way, you're gonna have a rig that'll last you a lifetime, and you're only 14! Took me 'till I was 32 to get the good stuff!

[This message has been edited by Dave Siff (edited July 17, 2000).]

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks Dave! Well, im getting the good stuff because i can get it for mother-freaking cheap! My brothers friend works at GC, and can get it at dealer cost...which is like half of what theyd normally sell it for! So im getting the Megoliath for like a third of the list price! Anyway, thanks for the info! Im not sure which one ill get, but probably the Mo' Bass just cuz its cheaper. Ill have to go to Bass Northwest to try them out, as the GC doesnt have the Mo'Bass, but they already have the SM-900 hooked up to the Megoliath. And im afraid BassNW would get mad if i made them hook a bunch of stuff up and then not buy it (they got mad at me for trying out a bunch of guitars before i bought my Modulus), but ill do it anyway. Thanks!

By the way, good choice with the Megoliath! Those rule...

4. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I think I'm going to get the Mo'Bass. I haven't heard it yet but it should be great.

Some reasons why the SM900 might be more expensive are: it has 2 switchable 3 band semi-parametric eq and a build in crossover.

I like smaller cabs better for ease of transport. I would get 4 Goliath III Jr cabinets instead of one Megoliath. I am going to use 2 Goliath III Jr and 1 Son of Bertha with my Mo'Bass.

I hope this helped...

5. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Man, 150 pounds...thats alot of weight to lug around, but hey, its a good cabinet. You might want to try a Bass 750 also, its a lot less than the SM-900 and the Mo'bass, but has less options, and is a hass less watts at 750 into 4 ohms. Good luck and make sure to tell us what you end up with.

------------------
    http://www.puddinhogs.com

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks chris. Sorry to abandon you with the 8x8 and the Bass 750! I feel bad. GC refuses to order me the 8x8 for some damn reason, and i have to buy from there, since its a couple hundred cheaper than from BassNW. and the Bass 750 isnt powerful enough for the Megoliath, which is what i was told at BassNW. If i got the Henry, the Bass 750 would be mine. Sorry! I was SET on the Henry, but then the day before i posted this thread, NOOOOOO. Oh well. Thanks!

7. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    Do you know for sure if you can run the Mo' Bass in bridge/mono mode for 900W? I haven't seen one yet but all the adds say "Stereo - 400W". The SM-900 would be very hard to pass up for anything.

I suggest that before you buy the Megoliath that you CARRY one up some stairs, across a parking lot, and then see IF it fits in your car. I would definately go with 2 Goliath III's for ease of transport, as well as flexibility with your rig. I KNOW you won't need 8X10's at every gig.

8. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WAKOJACO:
    Do you know for sure if you can run the Mo' Bass in bridge/mono mode for 900W?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to
    http://www.swrsound.com/pages/products/proseries/mobass.html

...it will do 900W Bridged Mono into 4 ohms.

I still wouldn't want it though.

9. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So what would you guys suggest? SM-900 or Mo'Bass? Why wouldnt you want the Mo'Bass? Help! Im buying soon, so please please help. Whats wrong with the Mo'Bass michael? I dont get it!

11. If you want my opinion, I think the Mo'Bass just has too much stuff that you'll never use. It's not like you'll be paying more money for it, since the SM-900 costs more, but why have all those effects? The SM-900 is simpler and more straightforward, and it has more headroom than you'll ever need. I would get the SM-900. In fact, I did!
    And I'm with Mr. Mo'Bass up there, I decided against getting a Megoliath, as cool as it would be. Too big! My rig as it stands is already too loud for most clubs I play in. You know what the coolest thing is? My guitar player just traded in his Marshall for a louder one, plus a Bandmaster for clean stuff, and I'm STILL cutting through him! I love it. Sorry MegaAngus I'm bogarting your thread, but the point is, if you get an SM-900, even with just one 4x10 like I have, you WILL be heard. And you can run that Megoliath in stereo too!! You will rule the world.

[This message has been edited by Dave Siff (edited July 19, 2000).]

12. Yep, I agree totally with Dave above. Sure it has all that crap built into it... but I bet none of it works as well as outboard stuff, assuming you even need any of that stuff. Personally, I don't use any effects at all live, and I use an RNC for compression when recording. I'd bet a trainload of Megoliaths that the RNC is a far better compressor than whatever is built into that thing.

Plus, it's as ugly as a mud fence. [​IMG]

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wait...why should i pay more though for something that has less options? You guys are all saying that the SM-900 has less stuff, but cost more. Im not sure. Ill probably get the SM-900 because GC has it (hooked up with a SM-400!), and i dont want to wait the few months GC takes to get anything. But why should i get the thing that costs more and has less? Same wattage, everything. Thanks by the way!

14. danhei

danhei

Jan 21, 2000
    Mega, I think they are saying you may get the Mo'Bass and find you don't really use all of the extras that it has. For awhile, I bought a number of cool pedals. But now I find I don't use any accept a wah and a flanger on a few songs.
    Also, perhaps the SM-900 is more expensive because it might simply be a better amp. I'd personally rather have a really good amp that was simple than an only decent amp that had lots of extra stuff.

But you really should try out both amps, if possible, and see which one you like better. Ignore all of the extras the Mo'Bass has and see which amp sounds better without all the effects.

Just my two cents,
    Dan

[This message has been edited by danhei (edited July 20, 2000).]

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im not worrying about the extras...they both have the EQ settings, and thats what i want...thats all i need....but the mo'bass is cheaper...why does everyone refer to it as worse? Thats what i want to know. Why is it a "worse amp" than the "SM-900"? Same wattage, but "worse". Why??

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi, go modular/portable. I have four Goliath Jr.s and I use one very often. Some of us roll stuff out of semis right onto the stage and some of us actually carry our stuff up stairs downstairs and into small intimate clubs with listening audiences. As to the two heads often with SWR no tone tweaking is needed.

17. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Mega, I don't think anybody is saying that the MO'Bass is a bad amp. What they are trying to tell you is that you will find out that you will not need all those extra bells and whistles. If you compared amps, minus the effects, you MIGHT find that the SM-900 outperforms the MO'Bass. You get what you pay for. The MO'Bass has all the effects built in, but cost less. You should be able to figure that one out. Obviously something had to be skimped on when the amp was built. So comparing the amp section alone of the MO'Bass to the SM-900, you might find that it may not be as well built. I would still try the two amps out before making a decision. We are just trying to help you out so that you may get more bang for your buck. Good Luck.

Also, most, but not all, built in effects are not the greatest sounding. Again, you get what you pay for.

18. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'd just add that you people might wanna check out EBS Fafner head. I almost bought a SWR and was wondering this same question "900 or a mo"... well anyhow, this dealer set me up with an EBS fafner and an EBS 4x10" cabinet and it was bye bye SWR.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks guys. Just that now i got the prices from the guy i know...$850 for Megoliath, $850 for Mo'bass, and $1100 for SM-900. Is the $250 premium really worth it?

20. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I can see how you can be frustrated in deciding on the two. I just checked the specs on both of these at WWW.swrsound.com. Comparing the two by specs alone can be difficult. I still think that something would have to be sacrificed in construction and design to accomodate all those effects, esp. at $250 less. At this point you can only try the two out side by side and let your ears be the judge.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited July 20, 2000).]