Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM-900 Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gvr4wd, May 17, 2001.

1. gvr4wd

gvr4wd

May 15, 2001
    Hi,

I have a chance to purchase used SM-900 (looks different from what they are
    selling) and am wondering if the specs are different as well....

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

2. Can you be more specific? I don't understand what you're asking. I use an SM-900 and I'd be happy to try and help you.

3. gvr4wd

gvr4wd

May 15, 2001
    Well, I'm wondering it the old one puts out same power as the current one, specifically. The current one puts out 800 watts rms at 4 ohms, 650 watts rms at 8 ohms in mono, and 400 watts rms at 4 ohms, 240 watts rms at 8 ohms in stereo mode.....

Thanks,

Dong Shin

4. Ahh.. OK. I'm not really sure, although I think the power specs are the same. A friend of mine has an older SM-900 and the power ratings are the same as mine.
    Find out what year of manufacture on the one you're considering, and e-mail SWR about it.
    Great amp, by the way.. nice, clean sound and tons of headroom.

5. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    If you are talking about differences between the old "purple and black" faced 900s and the newer "red and chrome" faced units, I think only significant difference is that the newer "red" ones have Speakon jacks for the speaker outputs. The newer model also vents to the side and back, instead of the top and back, and I believe that some minor components have changed, but nothing that would effect the sound.

6. OldJackBloom

OldJackBloom

May 12, 2001
    Reno, NV
    I, too, am looking to buy a used SM-900. Anyone know where I can find one?

7. I really love my SM900 alot, great tones!!! My only complaint is the FX loop. It doesnt work very well and the signal in the FX loop is not included in the XLR DI out. Which is discouraging for me cause I use a sampler and effects processor. I had to purchase an additonal mixer for them.
    But other than that they are worth the $$
    For used ones try www.ebay.com or www.bassgear.com

8. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    As it so happens, I have a sm-900 (new style) that I'm looking to sell. Totally mint, as I recall there is one tiny, tiny scratch on the top rear of the unit from racking it, but I can definitely take some pictures of it and mail them over so you can see for yourself.

Let me know if you're interested, it's only been used a total of 10-15 hours (generous estimate) in a private lockout. Never travelled (straight from SWR to the lockout, I rehearse about 10 minutes from SWR headquarters).

Anyway, email me off list to discuss photos, pricing, etc if you're interested.

-geo?