Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM-900 VS. Mesa Boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Has anyone used both of these? Is the Mesa Boogie able to get that ping high end when you slap like the SWR does? I know the Mesa will be a whole lot warmer. How about in volume 500 tube watts VS. 900 solid state watts? It will be used with a epifani 3-10 and Bag End S-15D cabs. I really want to go back to tube amps. They have been more reliable for me in the past. How much to retube to 400+? How often? Oh the basses are 75 Jazz , R bass 5, and upright.

Thanks

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The 400+ is a very loud amp. I plan to use one of mine (I own two) with an Epifani T-310 this Friday night on a club gig. If you can wait until Saturday, I'll be happy to post some impressions. As to the SWR, the Bass 750 is the one I have the most experience with. Very good amp, completely different tone than the Mesa, of course.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    boogie I'm very interested in hearing your review with the 400+/Beg rig! WHEN my Trace Hexa tube head gets here...I'll be running it with two EA CxL-110s

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    OK, I have read up. So the Mesa Boogie 400+ is kind of like an Alembic F1-X ? I used to have an F1-X and liked it alot. If the bright switch on the 400+ does the same as the bright switch on the F1-X then that is what I need. I am just tired of solid state heads. They seem to tear up alot on me for some reason. I just want to be able to get a good slap and finger tone out of it. ;)

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have no plans to run a 400+ with Bergantinos. As stated above, my plan is to drive the Epifani T-310 with the Mesa.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You CAN get a good slap tone out of a 400+ but that's not really its forte'. Fingerstyle, of course, is great with a 400+, as would be picstyle (a Thunderbird played with a pic through a 400+ KILLS!). But a 400+ ain't no SWR, that's for sure! Nor is it a particularly "hi-fi" sound. Deep, strong and warm with plenty of tubiness is how I'd describe it. Without the "snarl" of an old SVT. It's really like an old Fender Bassman with a massive power supply because, well, that's essentially what it is.