Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

swr-sm 900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tellis, May 19, 2005.

1. tellis

tellis

May 6, 2005
    Birmingham Al
    SWR Sm-900 I ALSO WANTED TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THE SWR SM 900. I HATE IT AND I WANT TO GET RID OF IT. I ONLY HAD IT FOR ABOUT 9 MONTHS BUT I HATE IT.. WHAT IS YOUR OPINIONS :help: :spit:

2. Wow, Tellis. That's just super.

Why don't YOU take a minute to tell us why YOU don't like it? This forum is about seeking and giving information, not for just bashing a product.

Welcome to Talkbass, but you might want to rethink your mindset and attitude a little. Also, turn your CAPSLOCK off.

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I'VE HAD MINE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND I LIKE IT ALOT! I AM GOING TO KEEP IT! WHY DON'T YOU JUST GIVE ME YOUR SM900 COZ IT ROCKS!

Sorry, just had to get that out... now, my opinion of it is that it is a good amp, a nice amp, an amp that does what I need it to do and one that makes me happy. I generally don't need more from an amp. BUT, I know that the sound is not what everybody like or can use in their setting.

4. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Well I had this to say in my Basic 350 thread: I upgraded to the more powerfull SM-900 which I never really liked. I dubbed the SM-900 "The Clipper Ship" of the SWR line. It was always clipping even bridge at above 1 o'clock volume settings. Maybe there was just to many controls to easily overdrive it. So Im revisting a Basic 350 which I used to love!

5. tellis

tellis

May 6, 2005
    Birmingham Al
    This just does'nt have the crispy highs that i need. Plus the bottom is not the best in the business. I am very disappointed with this amp, but I bought it and now have to deal with it I guess. I love my eden 400 head though. It delivers all the bottom and crispy highs that I crave. What head do you guys recommend. Someone told me to try the fender 800 pro because I am looking for more power to suit my bergantino 322 cab that is so awesome :hyper:

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    LOL

i belive eden has some out with either a version of the WT-800 that can handle a 4 ohm cab like your in bridge mono mode and/or another 2 channel amp that has less eq but can also bridge mono into a 4 ohm cab. if you like the eden tone that is what i woudl reccomend.

as for the SWR, my guess is what you don't like is the preamp and EQ voicing. Not much you can do about that but i wonder why you bought it? As far as being a "clipper ship" not only will all SWR amps tend to clip over 1 o'clock on the master volume, but so will most bass heads.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Uhh, no. You can sell it and get something you like. You may indeed lose some $ if you bought it new but that's the way it goes sometimes.

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Wow.

I thought that the primary complaint with the SM 900
    was too crispy highs.

9. tellis

tellis

May 6, 2005
    Birmingham Al
    NO NOT TO MY KNOWLEDGE. PLUS THE OVERALL TONE IS NOT ALL THAT GREAT. I DON'T THINK THEY ARE WORTH THE MONEY..

10. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I love mine. If you don't like the tone, consider swapping the preamp tube.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with an SM-900.
    Ditto on the preamp tube. it's a big deal in that circuit.

12. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    About the clipping in bridged mode: You should only use the center volume-knob in bridged mode, if not the red light will shine..

If this amp don`t deliver enough crispy highs, then there must be something wrong somewhere. Either in your amp, your speaker or.. in your ears.

I`ve had mine for about 9 years, it`s a good amp, but perhaps a little bright, underpowered an overpriced?

13. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I think the "Clipper Ship" tag is pretty funny! I actually got that from Tim Rage/Audio Slave, he's a friend and when he first started out he was with SWR. Anyway, I was complaning about the SM-900 always clipping throug either my 8x8 or 6x10 SWR cabs and he was saying the same thing. I played in a pretty loud rock band and before I would get near the volume or tone I needed the thing was just clipping and nothing seemed to work! Tim was having the same problem and dubbed them the "Clipper Ship", needless to say he uses Ampeg now and forever. I just dont think they make for great rock amps? For the jazz Hi-fi thing it would be perfect.

14. Except that he's playing Ashdowns now... :p

15. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    He has recently been trying Ashdown as a side rig to get the low B from his tuned down basses to sound a little deeper, he's been on tour lately and maybe he's made the complete switch? He was also using some Mesa Boogie stuff before but kept blowing them up (I think the M-pulse).

16. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I must admit that I don't care for the SWR tone as well. I like a modern high fi tone, but they are too sterile for me. If you like the Eden tone, sell you SWR and get the WT800. If you're looking for alot of power consider getting a power amp (you can get a QSC RMX1450 like I did for just under $400 new). Then you can choose your preamp for tone. I just picked up a used Ashdown off of the Classifieds (shameless plug - The Talkbass classifieds are great! I sold a bass and found the elusive Entwistle Ashdown in 1 week. Totally worth the price of becoming a supporting member alone.).
    Check out www.basstasters.com and listen to the sound samples of the different preamps. That might help you narrow down your choices.

17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmm. I have an SM-500 and it has slammin' highs (especially with the right tube) and nice lows. That said, I'm selling mine as well in favor of something warmer and easier (for me) to dial in. Sometimes I get a killer tone, but most of the time not. I love the slap tone.

I'm thinking Thunderfunk. Most people seem to say there is minimal tweaking needed to get a great tone. I'm ready for that after fiddling with the SWR. I also tried the Fender 800 Pro and liked it a lot. I want to try an Ashdown, too just to see...

18. I agree with you. When I used the 900, the highs were actually its strong point. You will love the Thunderfunk if you take the plunge.... not quite as sizzly as the SWR line, but much more low-mid punch, and plenty of everything else. I have still not needed to use the semi-parametric mid section... just a little tweak on timbre and enhance and it sounds great. I like a modern, clean sound (I play Celinder and MTD basses through an Epifani410UL). With the 'switch' option on the 550, I get plenty of clean, relatively hi-fi sounding hi end and upper mid, but with plenty of low mid punch to cut through the mix. Very, very good head, especially for the price and the service.

19. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the advice - the consensus seems to be that is the best head in that price range. I hope to be able to make the jump soon...