Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM-900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nikolai, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I just bought a used SWR SM-900 head, just wondering what you guys think about it? Its the old type, not the new SM-900.

2. Congrats.... I think you will like it. Lot's of TBers like the older models better than the newer models. I used a 900 bridged into a Goliath III for quite some time, and it put out the funk. It is a very aggressive sounding head, with lot's of sizzle and low lows... so some people don't like them very much.

One thing about those heads is that they get REALLY hot. This is normal for SWR heads (I think the old ones actually use the amp case as the heatsink if I remember correctly). I had mine in a 2 space rack and it literally got the rack hot to the touch on the outside. So, I'd recommend a 3 space rack to give it a little breathing room.

And.... go easy on the Aural Enhance control... you can really get lost in the mix if you turn that up too high.

Have fun with it!

3. The only problem I had with mine is that it overheated fast! But other than that, it's a terrific amp.

4. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Yeah, i noticed, got hot really fast

ive only tried it through two setups so far.. 1: Hartke 410 and a Ampeq 115
    2: EBS 410

And i really like it :) Only "problem" is the fan, the previous owner has ordered a new one and will fix it when it gets here.. it sounds like the fan bearings is kind of loose, like rattling. But otherwise, this amp really kicks hard :)