SWR SM400 with 4x8 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gnome01, Oct 6, 2003.

1. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I just got an old SM400 and use it with a Goliath II and it sounds great, but for rehearsals and smaller gigs I'd like to use my SWR 4x8 for smaller gigs. Problem is it seems there isn't an ideal way to do this. Using a side of the stereo mode, I'm only putting 140 watts into the 250 watt cab, thus underpowering it. If I bridge the head mono and run 400 watts into the cab, will the speakers hold up as long as I don't push them too hard?
  2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    If 140w gets the job done in terms of volume and tone, the cab won't care wether you're feeding it 10w or 100w less than its rated power handling. There is no such thing as underpowering a cab, there is only not having enough power to get the tone you want.

With either scenario (stereo or bridge) you shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't crank the master volume too far. In the stereo case you could clip the amp and damage the cab and in bridge you could shoot the speakers out across the room. Moderation is key.

FWIW, I occasionally run my SM900 bridged into a 210 that can only handle 250 watts. Haven't killed it yet.
  3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    You'd be better off with the 400 watts bridged. It'd be clean power with extra headroom.

I use my SM-400 bridged into an Eden D210T for rehearsal and it's just rated at 250 watts. The mast stays somewhere between 11 and 12 o'clock, so it's not pushing too hard.

If you push the single amp, it might get to clipping and hurt the cab...I've heard...from SWR...that the 8" speakers aren't the most durable...they don't recone them...and a new one costs about $100 from SWR.