Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM400s question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjus, Oct 11, 2004.

1. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    ok So I just got mine and want to hook it uo to the bridged power output, but I don't know which one is positive and which one is negative. Does it matter? I didnt see it anywherer on their site.

thanks
    jus

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if i remember correctly to hook up the 400 in bridged mode you switch the selector to bridge mode and take a double male bannana plug and link it between the two red terminals of both channels. If there is a 3rd double bannana jack on the back of the amp, dont do this, that 3rd jack should be labeled bridged mode output or something like that. If there is that 3rd jack then the red terminal is positive and the black one is negative. On your double male bannana plug there will be a tab on one side (probably labled ground) - put that side into the black terminal.
    anyhow, if there are only 2 bannana jacks on the back you should put the tab side of your double male bannana plug in the right side (looking straight at the amp from the front, the left side if you are looking your amp from the back) This is pretty standard for bridging most power amps.

3. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    hmm I doesnt seem to be like any of that, heres a picture.

[​IMG]

thanks a bunch

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that red and black thing is your bannana jack
    the clips on that wire will work but it looks woefully thin to be handling thecurrent youre gonna put into it
    if your cabinet has a bannana jack on it too go get a speaker cord with double male bannana plugs on both ends, if it only has a 1/4" jack get a speaker cord with 1/4 on one side and dmb on the other end. Plug it in as i instructed above and set the switch to bridge mode before turning the amp on.

5. In electrical outputs, red is positive and black is negative.

Mike

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    The minus side of a banana plug also has a ridge on it, so if you have an amp and a cab with positive on the top, you can check your plug for the correct polarity with your finger before plugging in...just put both of the ridge sides on the bottom.

...and I would recommend banana plugs over spade lugs like in your photo. Less chance of shorting out if something comes loose...I don't completely trust the binding posts.

7. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Alright thanks guys, I was planning on picki9ng up a thicker gauge wire but i haven't yet. Sorry for all the stupid questions.

thanks
    jus

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Another tip...I started using a zip tie to add strain relief by holding the wire firmly against the plug. If you use the cord a lot, the strands can eventually break or pull out of the plug.

9. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Don't use that cord, dude.