Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM400s question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gnome01, Jul 24, 2002.

1. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Not sure this was a great idea, but I just picked up a 4-5 year old SM400s - just used it on it's first gig. I used my '72 fender jazz and 2 SWR 4x8 cabs, and it sounded awesome - much better than my GK 700RB. No complaints about tone really, but what worried my was that after the 2.5 hour gig, the amp was HOT - I nearly burned my hand touching it. Do these things not have fans in them? - I didn't hear one in mine. If so, is this something to worry about, or do these amps usually hold up ok? Thanks for reading.

2. i have the same head...they have fans for sure, cranking away to keep cool, but from what ive heard SWR amps just get really hot, but its safe..so ive had mine for a year and its still working.....

3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Make sure the fan's spinning, and that it's not clogged with dust or anything.

4. I've an SM-400 (no "s")... it has no fan and gets damn hot all the time, but there's never been a problem. It's tough as hell! (and sometimes nearly as hot!)

-spelling edit... where's spellcheck when you need it?!??!!?

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The owners manual, available at SWR on line, states that the chassis is aluminum and is designed as a heat sink to draw heat away form the vital components. Yes they get hot. Both of mine are eleven years old.

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    The SM400s does have a fan and it should be working when the amp gets that hot. If it needs to be replaced you can yank it and get a new one (more efficient and quieter) at most computer supply stores. Everyone here is right, the SM400 and 400s are designed to get hot. The case acts as the heat sink. Just make sure there is at least one rack space between it if it happens to be in a rack set up.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    If it's a very very early sm400s it won't have a fan.

8. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Cool - thanks everyone for all the info.

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've got the SM400 too. I went to radio shack and picked up a fan and just sit it on top of the amp so it sucks air through it. Now even on hot outdoor gigs it only gets slightly warm to the touch and it only cost a few bucks.

10. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    If it has a serial number than 6125, then it has a cooling fan.
    If you're running a four ohm load bridged or 2 ohm per channel in stereo, it's also going to run quite a bit hotter.
    The fact that the encasement is aluminum versus your standard steel also leads to it heating more than regular amps.
    Great amp though...I love mine. Especially paired with an up coming Aguilar:D

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I still have mine, it was one of the first ones '86-'87
    no fan........but still sounds great!