Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

swr sm500 head parametric eq ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pigpen02, Mar 30, 2004.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    somebody help me out, and explain how parametric eq's work in general, and in particular on my head? bought it used, never found a manual, never had one before.

so far, i've just left the knobs set at 12 o'clock and the sliders at halfway, and just focused on eq'ing from my bass and hands, but....its there, why not use it?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The EQ on the SM500 is really SEMI-parametric, in that it has two controls per band. The slider controls boost/cut, the knob adjust what frequency the slider works at (a true parametric would have a third control to adjust how wide each band is). The only difference compared to a graphic EQ is you can choose the frequency bands.

The manual explains it pretty well and is available online here:
    http://swrsound.com/products/ownersmanuals/SM500_OM.pdf

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The SWR Web site also has some great EQ settings documented. (i.e. Rock, Jazz, Funk....). Check them out! :hyper:

4. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
  5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    This amp has a very flexible EQ section...but the frequency range for each of the "paragraphic" sections is impossible to see...tiny numbers below the round knobs. I stuck a piece of masking tape on the top of my rack over the sliders and wrote the frequency range (and centers) where I could see it. The four sliders, with the frequency knob straight up are at 100hz, 200hz, 500hz and 1khz...all good frequency centers on their own.